Chapter XXVIII

"W-what?" Frodo stammered. "Boromir was your brother?"

Gwen's breath hitched in her throat as Faramir revealed to the Halflings his relationship to Boromir. It was so much to take in for them, as Gwen had long kept this secret from Sam and Frodo in the hopes of not weakening their will to continue their journey. But in reality, her grief had been too great to break the news to her companions. The mere thought of telling them nearly brought Gwen to her knees. She never could bring herself to tell them the truth, instead hiding it under the guise of fearing the Halflings would no longer continue on their mission. 

Faramir had turned his back to the three. "Aye," he said quietly, his voice breaking at the simple word, before abruptly walking away.

"Faramir," Gwen called out, starting after him.

"How could you, Gwen?" Frodo demanded, grabbing her hand and stopping her. "Why did you not tell us that Boromir had died? Were you there? Did you see it?" Tears formed in both their eyes, the color having drained completely. 

Gwen looked down at the Halflings that were now white as ghosts. It was in that moment that she knew she needed to tell them the truth. So, she nodded, motioning the Halfings to sit down. "I was with him, yes."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Sam asked, a slight edge to his voice. "Did you think we did not need to know?"

"No!" Gwen said. "No, I did not think that at all!"

"Then why?" Frodo persisted.

"I-I don't know," Gwen fumbled with her words as her grief, the grief she had bottled up since leaving the others, finally began to boil over. She sat down hard, running her hands through her hair.

"Yes, you do," Frodo prodded.

Gwen looked at him miserably. Slowly, she took a deep breath, before talking.

"I refrained from telling you because... Because, the grief was too great for me to think about, let alone speak about. He was like my brother, I have known him for as long as I can remember. He looked after me, he has even saved my life on more than one occasion. I looked up to him and loved him with all my heart like a little sister would her brother. Do you not know the feeling of losing a loved one, Frodo? Do you not know what it is like to go about every single day, alive and breathing, knowing that someone you love is dead, that you will never see them again?" The tears flowed freely down her cheeks. "I did not tell you, Frodo, for I did not have the courage to. The memory of his last moments were too fresh in my mind."

She stopped trying to talk, unable to for the tears were too great. She buried her face in her hands.

It wasn't long before she felt a gentle tap upon her shoulder. "Miss Gwen?" Sam said.
Gwen looked up.

"It's alright," he said. "I understand, we both do." He said, looking at Frodo, who nodded.

Sam dug into his shirt pocket, pulling out a handkerchief, handing it to her.

Gwen took the handkerchief gratefully, pressing it up under her eyes to dry up the tears.
"Thank you," she said weakly. 

To her surprise, both the Halflings wrapped their arms around her shoulders, providing the much needed comfort she sought. Gratefully, she put her arms around Frodo and Sam, pulling them close.

"Now," Sam said, lifting his head. "Go to Faramir, Gwen. He needs ya."

Gwen nodded, before standing up and following after the distraught captain. 

~~~

"Faramir?" She called as she entered a dark room carved into the rock. The dim light provided by the torches made out a faint silhouette towards the back. He was stooped over against the wall, his arms extended upon it.