Chapter 11

It's been two weeks ever since Leyton and I almost shared a kiss. Ever since then he has been avoiding me like the plague and I've let him. He even went as far as to eat dinner in his office and he grew scarce. It hurts to receive continuous rejection from him and lately I have felt like leaving and going home maybe for just a week, just so that I can get a little break from all this, but I've been procrastinating thinking that Leyton would eventually explain what happened plus I was worried about leaving Olivia.

Last week I went to open a bank account and I immediately got paid after about a hour. Today as I made my way to Leyton's office I could feel my hands as they slightly shook as anxiety fell over me. This is the first time in 2 weeks that I will be directly talking to Leyton ever since that day. 

I stood outside of his office and raised my hand to knock with hesitation. Was I actually ready to face him. Taking a deep breath I decided that this is what has to be done besides he is the one that has been avoiding me so this should work out nicely for him, it will give him the space that he deserves and seems to desire so much.

Picking up my little pieces of courage, I took one deep breath and knocked. I needed this break plus I wanted to see my mother, this would simply be killing two birds with one stone. I waited for a second before I heard Leyton say 'yes' from the other side of the door, I knew after that response that there was no turning back so stepping inside I prepared myself for anything.

"Let me just quickly sign this." He said without even looking up. After signing what ever document that he was signing he looked up and I watched as surprise flashed in his eyes and face before it all disappeared, leaving way for an emotionless expression that painfully tugged at my heart.

We stayed in silence for a couple of seconds before I cleared my throat in an attempt to lessen the tension that was thick in the air.

"Good morning, I would like to ask you for something." I said internally shivering at the coldness of my voice. I hadn't meant for it to happen, it just did.

"Good morning." He said as a quick emotion that I couldn't decipher flashed through his face but quickly disappeared. "What is it?" He asked in a neutral tone.

"I would like permission to go home." I said and watched as a frown settled on his face. I then realised that he probably thought that I was quitting. "I'd like to go and visit my mother for a week or two while Olivia is on her school holidays." I further explained and watched as relief flooded his face.

"Of course, I'll arrange for either Michael or Keegan to take you there." He said.

"You don't have to." I tried to object only for him to intentionally look me straight in the eye for the first time in a while letting me see all the turmoil that he was in, the emotions that stood out the most to me being...regret and something else which I couldn't quite read. His eyes seemed to threaten to swallow me whole as I stood there in front of him, so I did the only thing that I believe I could do. I snapped myself out of the trance which I had seemed to go into and made my way out of the door. I hastily made my way to my room, opened the door, quickly closed it and slid down my bedroom door as a breath of relief exited my lips. Now I just needed to tell Olivia and hope that she'll be fine.

I sat there leaning against the door until I heard a little knock on the door making me jump up straight. I took one quick breath of composure and then opened the door to see the smiling face of Olivia.

"Hey, baby. What do you need?" I asked her as I lifted her up and closed the door behind me.

"Nothing, I just wanted to sit with you." She said as she climbed off of my hip and took my phone from the table that was next to my bed. "May I please play a game?" She asked with her pleading look making me smile as I nodded. I unlocked my phone and then gave it to her and watched as she went to her favourite game which she liked playing on my phone, the funny thing is that she had it on her tablet but she liked playing it with on my phone, not like I minded, seeing as I rarely used this phone unless I was calling my mother. I wonder whether I should tell her that I'll be going to see my mother or not.