Chapter 4

Aug 13 thru 16

Reese had wandered around the house and explored the grounds. She'd found a waterfall surrounded by moss covered rocks and logs and had spent an afternoon splashing in the cold water and laying on the warm, soft moss.

Hedwig had arrived two days after Reese. She loved the forest and spent most of her time soaring over and through the trees.

Reese trekked out to the waterfall and stripped to her undergarments before diving into the inviting water.

She paused in swimming to look around her senses alerting her to someone watching her. She studied the forest until the feeling faded. The wards tingled from a large animal crossing them but they hadn't sounded an alarm so perhaps she was just on edge. Frowning, she waded out and spelled herself dry before dressing and going home.

The sense of being watched growing. Was it just wildlife or something more sinister?

Renesmee came to visit several times usually bringing Alice with her. Alice was hyper and vivacious. It was nearly impossible not to like her. Jasper and Edward and Bella all dropped in to visit. Jasper had come with Alice – a quiet, watchful presence that made Reese think of a skittish wild animal that wasn't evil, but dangerous if frightened. She liked him despite the dangerous air. Edward and Bella were difficult. They were nice...polite, but she didn't immediately like them like Carlisle, Nessie, Alice and Jasper.

Finally, she got tired of being shadowed and glared out into the forest. "It isn't very polite to stalk someone. So either show yourself or leave."

She waited a few minutes then accessed the wards and began heightening their sensitivity until with a pained yelp a giant wolf stumbled out into the backyard. Reese immediately lowered the wards and glared at the giant animal. "Shift. Now."

The wolf stepped behind an azalea bush and shifted into a young Indian boy. "Um, we don't shift with clothes."

Reese released her wand into her hand and transfigured her bathing towel into some shorts. She tossed them to the astounded boy. She laughed at his dropped jaw stare. Pointing to herself, she said dryly, "Witch."

The boy's mouth snapped shut and he flushed.

Reese sighed and turned to walk back into her home. "Come in once you're decent."

She was in the kitchen leaning against the counter and sipping a soda when he came down the hall hesitantly. She held out a can of soda. "What's your name?"

"Seth...Seth Clearwater." He took the soda gingerly and settled at the counter bar. "Thanks."

She studied him coolly. The boy was young and gangly. Had she ever been as innocent looking as he was? "How old are you, Seth Clearwater?"

Seth frowned slightly. Everyone wanted to dismiss him because of his age. No one took him seriously. "Nearly sixteen."

"Nearly..."

"Two weeks."

"Ah." Reese remembered anxiously awaiting her sixteenth. She was sure his reasons were vastly different from hers. Hers had meant freedom. Two weeks meant they were actually only about five weeks apart in age.

"Your Alpha send you to spy on the wicked witch?"

"No."

Reese raised an eyebrow.

"He didn't! I was just..." He flushed and shrugged his shoulder.

"Curious."

Seth nodded.