Chapter 10

Dec 1

"The elementary schools are coming along very well." Tom informed her as they settled at the dining room table for supper. "We've got the buildings completed. Teacher interviews are progressing nicely. We have approximately a third of them selected. The governing board is in place. Four hundred notifications went out. I'm told those that are barely able to eke out a living are ecstatic at having free schooling for their children. Suddenly the future looks a bit brighter for them."

"Children shouldn't have to suffer." Hari replied quietly "How goes introducing muggleborn and raised into our world sooner."

"It is still in the planning stages. We have the lesson plans fleshed out. We need the schools to be operational and successful first."

Hari nodded. "Hopefully that won't take too long. It's horrible having things blamed on you when you have no idea that those things are even possible. I want to highlight the ones abusing their children because they are magical. I want the public outraged to the point they actually do something. I want people offering to adopt these children."

Tom stared at her a moment frowning thoughtfully. "Do you know Light families that would step forward and adopt muggle children?"

"Why not Dark ones?"

"Perhaps a few Dark neutral families. Can you see the reaction if the Malfoys or Notts offered?"

She grimaced. "I see your point. I wouldn't trust in the altruistic nature of Nott."

"Exactly."

"We can't leave them in those households though and even if we get magical orphanages which will be the most difficult sell, those children aren't orphans."

"They could become so."

Hari glanced at him sharply. She gave a small huff. "I wouldn't be opposed to the worst of them being killed. I would not have been upset if someone had showed up and offed the Dursleys." She ran her fork absently through the fettuccine noodles before twirling it round and round. "How do you oust a Hogwarts headmaster?"

Tom paused, fork half raised. He lowered it to his plate. "You want to oust Dumbledore?"

Hari looked up at him. "I want to kill Dumbledore painfully while he screams and writhes and begs for non-existent mercy." She hissed, eyes flashing with hatred. "I'll settle at the moment for ousting him."

Tom stared at her. His equal. He joked about it at times. For the first time ever he was serious when he thought it. She was his equal....powerful, parseltongue, determined, intelligent, vengeful, Dark.

Hari's eyes widened when Tom's darkened and dilated. Her pulse sped up. Her tongue darted out to moisten suddenly dry lips. "Tom..."

Tom's gaze shifted to her mouth hungrily. He drew in a sharp breath. "I have never met anyone that complements my personality the way you do. If you weren't sixteen..." he trailed off softly. His gaze met hers. "I would have meant exactly what you thought earlier."

Hari sucked in air to her suddenly starving lungs as her feminine core clenched in reaction to his sensual words.

"Keep looking at me that way and perhaps I'll ask anyway." Tom murmured as her desire filled gaze heated his blood.

Hari suddenly flushed darkly and jerked her gaze to the table. She trembled beneath the onslaught of unaccustomed emotions.

Tom watched as she struggled with the emotions whipping through her body. He was stunned to realize that she was truly attracted to him. Her arousal shook his control. These past few months getting to know Hari had been unsettling and electrifying. "Do you want me to ask, Hari?"