1/3/2021

1

"Do you have no shame?" said the snake to the bird.

The bird, who had been showing off its magic tricks, extended a wing to the grounded snake. "There is no shame in showing off who we are, as our talents make us. Come, let us have fun together."

The Bartiste group bowed to their audience, which had stood to applaud at their performance. In the dimly lit hall, without visibility of their master's nor the audience's expressions, the performers crossed their fingers as they linked arms and bowed again.

Bartiste was composed of four well-known students from Hosim Academy. At present, they were part of the three main companies that were founded long ago to unite the five nations. The youngest of them now piped up: "Where's Master, can't see him."

"Be quiet." The boy beside her said. He didn't shift a muscle or twitch an eye, his back tall and straight from years of discipline. "It's not over yet."

As the applauds slowed, the group gave another bow before taking their exits. The lights on the stage were dimmed and as the curtains were closing, each of them afforded a slight slouch and dab on their sweaty brows. Two stage instructors waved them into the back, where a narrow passage led to a room right underneath the creaking floorboards of the stage. It was a storage for costumes, and their belongings. The room was fairly spacious, with all its items pushed to the sides.

The first of them who relaxed was a boy with blonde hair. "I, for one, am glad practice paid off!" He leant into one of the old rubber chairs, stretching up into a yawn.

A girl with identical appearance – his twin sister – smiled as she entered the room. She couldn't be sure if they made it or not, but for now she wanted to bask in the completion of their six years of hard work. She slid her eyes to the dark-haired boy on the other side of the room, and the little child that was his partner. She nodded wordlessly to the former and greeted the latter chirpily.

"Hiya, Siru. Can't wait to get our uniforms!" The child, who was called Ran, cheered out. "They're gonna be so pweetty."

"Don't get your hopes up, it's still unconfirmed." Said the dark-haired boy on her side. He was as tall as Siru, but where Siru was elegant with a charming air, the boy was the exact opposite. He was a foreigner with a rather long name, but was now called Raw to pair with Ran.

Siru ignored him. "Did you see that applause? We are definitely graduating today!" She gave a fist pump before slamming it onto her brother's mop of hair. "Oi, get up Kai. They're coming!"

The boy jumped up, his mood instantly as cheerful as the other three.

Behind these two, Raw slightly furrowed his brows. He could not fathom how these dancers, who were near graduating, were still as unprofessional as twelve-year-olds. Well, his partner was eleven but with her talent, she should at least present some competency.

"Hush." He sternly notified his peers, when the shadow of a person came into view on the hallway walls.

One of the two stage instructors from before motioned from outside and they filed out silently. In front of elders – regardless of their status in society – they, as students, moved gracefully and softly as if the ground beneath them were holy. It was true in a way, and some people still believed that. The other instructor was just closing off his speech. Without looking to check on them, he proclaimed loudly their entrance.

"And here they are: Bartiste! Proud graduates, please come forward." The audience stood in silent respect as the performers entered. Their master, who was positioned at the far end of the stage, was the only one with his head bowed. On his raised arms was a wrapped package.

"Bartiste, Leónes and Jatta," the instructor started. "The three pillars holding the five nations together. They are the heart of our world; graceful performers who can take on any role. Bartiste, who represents artfulness, will once again form a new generation. And, combined with the strength of Leónes, the courage, Jatta, the kindness, will forge on to renew the world in the same way that Divine Vistra had in the beginning of time." He stepped away from the podium and beckoned the four towards their master. "Come, these uniforms must be given to you."

As they gathered around their master, he congratulated them. Ran fought the urge to hug and cling to the stooping figure's legs. Smiling at the child, the elder then shifted to look at each of three. "Accept this gift, Bartiste. Passed down generation after generation, crafted from the fur of Divine Vistra. When you wear them, be prepared to uphold your duties. Not only to the nations, but to Bartiste and to yourselves."

His voice was solemn and Siru wondered what would become of him after this. Would he still train performers? Now that they were official, there was no longer need to find performers for this generation. She watched Raw, Ran and Kai receive their uniforms. She would be the last, as always.

"Thank you, master." She bowed as she accepted her uniform with two hands. Knowing this would be the last time, she made sure her bow was deep and conveying. "For everything." She whispered.

"We have received messages that Leónes and Jatta have also recognised their performers. Bartiste, once you have dressed, you will be sent to meet them in Central Palace. Good luck," ended the stage instructor. The audience applauded a final time, but the performers were already being ushered away.

Back downstairs, the four's deft fingers quickly switched out of their familiar, dusty sports uniform. There were many ornaments to secure. The last one was a headband which all companies wear – a metal plate which will be set on their foreheads. A symbol of a circle within an evenly-shaped diamond was carved into the metal and painted with dark ink. The symbol identified them as Bartiste so long as they wore them, which would be until death.

Kai smoothed down the seamless costume in front of a scratched-up mirror. "This feels as good as new. Think it'll be able to mend itself like the stories?"

"Why don't you try out?" His sister grinned through the mirror.

"Yes definitely, when someone comes at me with a knife, I will." He deadpanned.

"It's so cool!" Ran pranced around the room. She had unclasped the folds of the compacted skirt to let tawny-coloured silks blossom and swirl like the ever-shifting Mayyreb sands.

Reflected in the mirror, the boys could see the clothing had an effeminate quality to it. From the loose cloth covering their chests and then braced over their upper arms, the baggy, skirt-like trousers to the copper rings that secured every joint of their body. Their boots were laced tightly up to the knees and soft leather guards were placed around their waists and wrists. Kai stared into mirror at the person on the opposite wall. "Hey beautiful," he said in an attempt to jest.

The recipient glared and moved out of the mirror's view. Even annoyed, Raw's movements were trained and lithe. His waist-length, loose braid complimented effortlessly, and was what often earned him disgusting comments from his blonde-haired peer, who was now guffawing.

"What has been so funny, children?"

A sly voice rounded into the room.

The owner of it was leaning on the doorway. The pelt of a golden hyena hung over his slender shoulders. The person's cropped hairstyle and kohl painted eyes marked him as a court retainer. "All dressed up?" He asked in a lilting voice.

The four quickly bowed, shocked that they had not noticed such an important arrival.

"Yes, grace." They muttered. Raw looked disgruntled at the other three, and only Siru cast back an apology.

"Well then, time to go. The others must be arriving as well, you know?" The man smiled and walked off with a flourish of his hand. They looked up and followed in suit with their bags, Siru casting one last glance into the dusty glow of the room.

A/N: Last entry is sort of the prologue to this. But can be read alone I guess.
Just a heads up, there's no continuation after this (/_\)