Chapter 1: If My Voice Could Reach Back Through The Past

It was the first day of spring. The cherry blossoms bloomed in the breeze brushing past Chrollo's figure. In front of Heaven's Arena, he entered the arena as a floor master and waited for the one who he was said to fight against today.

After a few moments of waiting, he heard footsteps approaching. There wasn't an audience nor a referee as requested by Chrollo's opponent in which he accepted these conditions. Across from him, a girl faced him with a blank stare before letting out a breath. She opened her mouth to say a small, "Hi?" The girl gave an awkward wave, unsure of whether to be scared of her opponent or not.

Chrollo examined her. She seemed like every other hunter who'd reached his floor and failed. They barely reached the entrance before collapsing to Chrollo's overwhelming ren. "If you don't mind me asking, what kind of nen user are you?" Chrollo inquired.

(Y/N) thought for a bit, trying to remember what happened a few years back. "Which one is the one that makes the cup explode into dust and the leaf turn into a cherry blossom."

"A completely different change, a specialist is your case perhaps. Anyways, shall we start?" Chrollo asked.

The girl nodded. Chrollo waited for her to attack, seeing if her ability was worth stealing. She advanced in an attempt to land a punch, but Chrollo stepped back. She tried sweeping her feet, but that also did not work. All the floors she passed up until now, she didn't feel the urge to use her ability as she didn't need to nor did she want to. Thus, she tried a different approach.

She moved back, giving herself some space between her and Chrollo. Steadying her pace, she made copies of herself surrounding Chrollo. Chrollo yawned knowing this assassination technique. Rhythm Echo. However, the girl put a little twist on it. Her copies stopped moving around him and slowly vanished. Waiting for an attack, Chrollo sidestepped as if he knew where she would attack. However, he was kicked back into the wall.

"I did it!" The girl beamed with her hands up. Chrollo rubbed the side of his head and slowly stood up. The girl looked over. Not many could land a hit on Chrollo in which he decided to start fighting back now. He advanced, initiating hand-to-hand combat. The girl started dodging and blocking a few. Still, he wanted to know whether she had an ability worth stealing or not, but it would be too much of a hassle for him to receive another scratch.

When she tried counterattacking, Chrollo pulled out his knife from his coat. Her mouth opened as she saw the knife, the very knife that killed everything important to her. She quickly retracted her arm that reached out to cut him and jumped back. Her expression turned dark as she saw Chrollo hold onto the knife. He remained neutral, unaware of how his knife and he were linked to her.

"Let's fight to the death, shall we?" Chrollo said.

"I'm going to kill you." (Y/N) seethed.

-----

"Kaze!" A girl no older than 12 ran towards the fallen boy who looked at least 16. The surrounding area was nothing, but rubbish. Crushed buildings littered the floor. "Who did this?" the girl hushed. She dragged Kaze and sat him up to the wilted tree nearby.

"(Y/N)... Run before he steals your ability." Kaze said.

"Come with me." (Y/N) replied quickly.

"I can't. I'll only slow you down. I can't move. We never fought against this toxin. It'll take too long to get used to."

Tears started running down (Y/N)'s cheeks. "I still have a wish that hasn't come true. You can't leave me. I want that wish to come true." (Y/N) wiped her tears with her dusted sleeves.

"Hey, look at me. Look for something more important than me. Anything for my sake is more important..." He paused. "Right?" (Y/N) nodded, but in her head, the only important thing was the wish she yearned to be true.

"Let me fight him for you. I'll kill him."

Kaze shook her head. "He's too strong. Please just run. We can't go back anymore. There's nowhere to go back to. This is where our worlds start to fail to align. I'm sorry." Footsteps crunched in the distance. "Run... please, I'll keep him away."

(Y/N) wiped the rest of her tears and quickly leaned in to give him a hug. Kaze's eyes widened in surprise. (Y/N) quickly turned away and took off the clip in her hair. "If you don't return this to me one day, I won't forgive you."

Kaze used something to direct the footsteps farther away, but in seconds, his location was revealed to the attacker.

He softly smiled behind (Y/N)'s back as it got smaller the farther she ran. "I'm sorry." He said softly under his breath.

(Y/N) hid far from Kaze's location, but kept close enough to see him clearly. She saw the attacker with a sharp knife.

"So that's where you are." The attacker said. He neared Kaze with his scuffed outfit.

Kaze looked up. "You're a prick and so is everyone in your dumb group, Chrollo Lucilfer," he said with venom dripping from every word.

Chrollo smirked. Chrollo took Kaze's hand and placed it on the cover of Bandit's Secret. "Thank you, Kaze. I have no other use for you."

The spring breeze blew as Kaze said his last few words. Chrollo stabbed Kaze with his knife and pulled it out as (Y/N) watched the blood drip from the knife. She covered her hand with her mouth resisting the urge to scream and cry.

That was what happened in spring when it ran into the field of dreams in the midst of chaos.

-----