Chapter 3: The World We Live In Spins So Indifferently

(Y/N)'s eyelids fluttered open. She examined her surroundings to see many eyes on her.

"She's awake." Shalnark said. Startled, (Y/N) activated her portal to take out a dagger. Before she could stab Shalnark, Machi pulled the string on (Y/N)'s wrist making her drop the dagger.

"Piss off." (Y/N) spat. "I rather die than become a part of your troupe."

"When's the auction again, Danchou?" Shalnark asked.

"In a week." Chrollo plainly said.

"Are we bringing..." Shalnark trailed off at the end, not knowing (Y/N)'s name.

"Yes."

"Like hell I'm going to be working for you." (Y/N) muttered under her breath.

"But you will." Chrollo said. "I have everything to use against you."

A few days passed and (Y/N) was still in the hands of Phantom Troupe. No one was able to talk to (Y/N) except for Pakunoda. After all, Pakunoda could read her thoughts that mostly consisted of plotting a plan to escape or cursing her life.

More days passed and (Y/N) gradually got bored. All Phantom Troupe did was sit, walk, talk, or occasionally go out to complete requests. (Y/N) eventually got an idea of all of them, but they haven't gotten a clue about her.

Throughout the days, (Y/N) barely spoke a word, slowly dying with the lack of interaction. The day before the auction, she finally broke. "Pakunoda." It was just her and Pakunoda. Chrollo instructed that one member always had to be on the watch for her. "What do you do?"

Pakunoda's eyes widened in surprise. (Y/N) barely spoke a sentence. She never started conversations either. She only replies with a blunt yes's and no's when spoken to. "I can read minds."

(Y/N) lightly laughed. "I mean what do you do for fun, so you're not bored here."

"Ah, I talk to the Phantom Troupe members." Pakunoda paused. "I also target practice."

"Target practice?" Pakunoda nodded. "Want to have a match? You're probably bored of watching me and reading my thoughts." (Y/N) said and pointed to her head. "I swear I'll talk if we do and if you win I'll do whatever Chrollo asks of me."

"And if I lose?"

"Nothing, I can't gain anything from you. I'll stay here because knowing Chrollo, he's going to hunt me down eventually."

Pakunoda nodded. "Accepted."

(Y/N) stood up. "Lead the way." The two walked out of Phantom Troupe's hideout in Yorknew City to a nearby shooting range. The two stopped in front of their stations. "Each bullseye equals one question to ask each other. How about it?"

"Sure. Do you need a gun?..." Pakunoda asked. (Y/N) activated her portal and pulled out an M9.

(Y/N) looked over to Pakunoda. "Ready?" Pakunoda nodded. "Go." The two started shooting the targets.

Pakunoda was the first to land the bullseye. "Where were you from?"

"Don't know. I've been everywhere. The first place I could remember is Meteor City." It was (Y/N)'s turn next. "Why'd you join Phantom Troupe?"

"We were all left in Meteor City after it was destroyed."

"We?"

Pakunoda nodded, "Danchou, Feitan, Machi, Nobunaga, Franklin, Uvogin, and me."

The two went back and forth between questions and gunshots.

"My hand hurts. Let's stop here." (Y/N) said. The score was settled. (Y/N) won by 10 points.

The two walked back to Phantom Troupe's hideout.

Over at the Phantom Troupe's hideout, the members were running around looking for the two missing people.

Chrollo put his left hand to his face. No way would Pakunoda fail to handle (Y/N). He thought. It has been two hours since they came back from preparation without the sight of Pakunoda and (Y/N). A couple of the members have gone out to look for the members in the streets of Yorknew City, but they didn't catch sight of the two females. The troupe was currently thinking of places where (Y/N) could possibly kidnap and bring Pakunoda to.

Then the halls echoed with a laugh. A few moments later, Pakunoda and (Y/N) emerged from the entrance. A bright smile played on (Y/N)'s face as she talked to Pakunoda about her adventures. Pakunoda stopped. (Y/N) noticed and looked at the troupe. Her smile turned neutral. "Oh." (Y/N) let out.