S E V E N T E E N

S E V E N T E E N

It was Wednesday morning and Emily was completely nervous, walking from side to side in our room, changing her hair and leotards again and again, not fully convinced of what she should look like for the audition.

And me? I've been watching her for over an hour. How fun.

"You're beautiful Ems, he knows that already. He only cares about your talent and skills, and you already have those too. He's going to pick you."

"You say that because you're already in. God, I hate you."

"I'm saying it cause it's true."

"Did he tell you that? He told you he was going to pick me too?"

"No, not really."

"Then let me be fucking nervous and shut up."

"Someone is on her period."

"I am not!" - She said and threw me a pillow.

I laughed and stood up.

"Just relax darling." - I said, pulling her on a hug.

"I want to dance with you again." - She pouted.

"We will." - I assured her even if I wasn't so sure.

~~~

When we got into the classroom, half of the school was there, not only our class, but almost everyone.
Harry and Ms. Horan were sitting at the front, facing us. On the corner was Niall sitting by the piano.
He winked at us when he saw us entering.

The first part of the audition was a few choreographies that Harry showed at that moment and that we had to memorize and copy as if we had known it for life.
He was quite pretentious though, they were hard sequences.

But I know I nailed it, so it wasn't a problem.

Then they separated us into women and men to show our duets. Liam and I stood up in the corner, stretching and mentally reviewing the steps.

"You'd better do your best, Tomlinson. I need this." - Liam said, fisting my shirt.

"Calm down." - I said and pushed him. - "Are you thinking that I'm going to sabotage your audition?"

"Maybe. You hate me."

"Yeah, but I want this too."

"Harry wants you in. It's obvious that you're one of the four already."

"How did you...? What?"

Liam laughed.

"Really? You expect me to believe that you do not notice?"

"Not really."

"He didn't take his eyes off you since last week."

Fuck fuck fuck. Why does Harry have to be so obvious?

Why do I have to be so obvious?

Shit.

"It must be nice to have both of our teachers behind you."

"What? Liam what the fuck ? They are not interested in me. You're delusional."

"I'm not buying it."

"And I don't care, because it's the truth."

It isn't.

When it was time for us to dance our duet, we only had one shot, but we nailed it.
I know we did.
We danced like it was the last day on earth, and Liam and I really got along while dancing. It's kind of extraordinary.
No one would think that we hated each other in our personal lives.

I guess that's the magic of ballet. Or teamwork. Or both.

Ms. Horan clapped proudly after we finished, and she gave me a reassuring nod.
If only she knew I was fucking Harry.

Stop thinking about it, Louis.

Harry didn't look at me though, he was playing hard to get. Or maybe he just didn't want to drool because of me.
Yeah, I like to think that is the second option.

~~~

The morning went on and all of the students danced in front of Harry and Claudia. The both of them made notes and talked a bit between duets.

"Well, everyone, you must know I will only choose four people." - Harry started.- "I'm sorry. But that's how this world works. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.
I'll remind you that the rest of the dancers of the company are the people who danced in my original ballet back in Berlin. They already worked with me and know my style and methods.
So the four of you who would join the company will have to catch up with them. Is this clear?"

Everyone in the room nodded.

"I'll proceed to tell you the names."

I could tell Emily was about to have a panic attack so I placed an arm around her shoulders, trying to calm her down.

"Maya Henry." - He pointed on his notebook.- "Emily Hart, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson."

Of course I wasn't surprised he picked me. But I acted like I was.
Liam and Maya hugged and kissed out of excitement.
Well, I must confess they made a really lovely couple.
Not that I'd say it out loud though.

Emily hugged me and Niall also ran to hug both of us, under the warning gaze of his mother.
Truth is that nobody knows he is her son or that I'm her nephew, but she is always worried that someone would find out.
I just laughed at her expression and she nodded at us proudly.

"Well, now that I told the names, I would like the people who weren't selected to leave the room so I can speak to the four I've just named." - Harry continued.

Everyone around us had sad and disappointed looks on their faces, but well, life is life, people. Get over it.
They picked their things and slowly left the room.
Maya and Liam kept kissing and hugging by our side.
Emily was now crying on my shoulder. Niall was giving her supporting words.
I looked at Harry and caught him looking back at me.

I winked at him and he smiled.

"I'd like to welcome you and also warn you because these are going to be the most important five months of your life.
Rehearsals begin on monday. You'll have to be there from six pm, when your classes ends, to nine pm inside this very room.
You'll meet the rest of the company there. I expect nothing less than compromise, discipline and professionalism from you. And in return I'll give you my loyalty from today til the day you decide to retire. I'm glad that you are now part of The Nutcracker, that it'll actually be a little different than the version you know. But we'll get there. In the next following days I'll give each of you your contracts. I want them signed on Monday before the rehearsal. Otherwise you're out.
Enjoy your last days of freedom. You're all dismissed."

So, clases from 8 am to 6 pm then rehearse for The Nutcracker till 9 pm and then my private classes with Harry till midnight.

Damn, These are going to be a rough five months.

Thank God I'll still have my weekends.

I saw Maya and Liam starting to pick up their things with smiles on their faces.
Claudia had left the room long ago and Niall was talking to Emily, who was still crying.
I kept my eyes locked on the beautiful teacher in front of me, and he noticed, because well, I made him blush.

Beautiful to see.

I wanted to kiss and hug Harry like if my life depended on it. But I contained myself because we were still in public.

"Mr. Styles I would like to thank you for picking me for your company. I'd not let you down." - I got closer to him.

"Sure, Tomlinson. You're welcome."

"It's really a pleasure." - I answered, getting a little bit closer. - "See you tonight." - I whispered and he slightly nodded.

I bit my lip and turned around, before doing something I'd regret.