xvii. And the Lions Take Flight!

SEVENTEEN AND THE LIONS TAKE FLIGHT!

🍒💌🕊

     IN HER DREAMS, THE FIRST thing Ina notices are the stars.

     The night is warm and sticky as she gazes up at the sky, freckled with small little spots of light that wink at her, as if letting her in on a secret. Enchanted fairy lights hang overhead, twinkling brightly as a steady thrum of chatter lights up the air. People dawdle around, dressed in finery with their cheeks flushed and delicate flutes of champagne clutched in their hands. 

     The smell of wet grass and fragrant flowers waft into Ina's nose, and beyond the intricate pagoda she's standing under, she can see a large looming manor in the background. 

      It's gorgeous—this beautifully orchestrated party, whatever it is, and yet... There's something else. An underlying sense of urgency that sits low in her stomach, even as she looks around and notes that this is supposed to be a night full of fun.

     "It's almost time!" Someone gushes next to her. Ina turns to see the silhouette of a mousy girl, clad in a sparkly pink dress, peering up at the guy standing next to her. 

     Time? Ina thinks. Yes... It is almost time. But for what? Isn't there somewhere she's supposed to be right now?

     It's on the tip of her tongue. She had promised someone she would be with them right now... But who was it? And why? Ina can't seem to remember.

     "Let's start the countdown!" A deep voice yells out to the crowd. There is a resounding cheer in response.

     "Ten!" Everyone choruses together.

     Ina turns on her heel. Maybe she should check inside?

     Her feet are sore from the ungodly high heels she is wearing, but she is barely able to register the pain as she makes a beeline towards the large, white double doors that lead into the manor. 

     Once inside, she wastes no time before yanking off her shoes and chucking them to the side, behind a large potted plant. Then, she rushes down the hallway.

     Where is she going? She doesn't really know. Isn't there someone she's supposed to be looking for?

     "Nine!"

     Although the bulk of the party seems to be outside, there are enough people inside that the countdown follows Ina, even as she delves deeper into the manor. She finds herself turning around countless corners and down endless hallways, not exactly sure where she is heading.

     "Eight!"

     Ina hurries past what seems to be a gilded ballroom, complete with a large sparkling chandelier. It twinkles as she passes by, almost as if it is trying to tell her something.