iii. (Im)practical Magic

THREE (IM)PRACTICAL MAGIC

🍒💌🕊

     THE FIRST MONDAY MORNING OF TERM finds Ina at the Hufflepuff table, bright and (in Will's opinion) much too early.

     Ina has always been a bit of an early riser... Will? Not so much.

     It seems the one thing that they've never been able to agree on in their many years of friendship is what time the day begins—especially on days like this, when Ina drags him up from his toasty bed in the Hufflepuff dormitory to the dreary, cold and dead Great Hall.

     Even the plate of pancakes in front of him (drowned in maple syrup, because he refuses to eat them any other way) can't seem to keep him awake.

     The only time Will doesn't stuff himself until he can't breathe is when he's half asleep and angry at the world... Go figure.

     "Will, it's not even that early," Ina gently prods, pushing the plate closer to him and handing him a fork.

     He groans something unintelligible and slumps against the table, his eyes sliding shut.

     "No, I'm not letting you go back to bed," Ina chides. She's now moved on to buttering a slice of toast for herself.

     Will grunts again, and Ina rolls her eyes.

     "Yes, there are other people here! A lot of them, actually."

     "What happened to him?" Ina looks up to see Zera, her scarlet robes ironed perfectly, and her pleated skirt hiked up higher than Professor McGonagall would approve of.

     "Nothing," Ina smiles. "He's just a bit tired.

     As Zera slides into the seat across from her, Will grunts once more, and Ina's smile doesn't waver even as she digs the heel of her shoe into his foot.

     "How are you?" She asks as Zera grabs a scone and some jam. "Delphi didn't come down with you?"

     "'m good," Zera's words are muffled as she chews. "Delph couldn't decide which shoes she wanted to wear, so she's still up in the dorms."

     "Why doesn't she just wear her trainers?" Ina asks cluelessly.

     Zera looks at her for a moment before bursting into a fit of laughter.

     "T-That's funny," she gasps. Ina stares.

     "Oh, you... weren't kidding?" Zera's trails off awkwardly.

     "...No?" Ina responds tentatively.

     "Ina," Zera leans forward, clasping her hands together. "For your sake, never say that in front of Delphi."