ix. Hairy Snout, Human Heart

NINE HAIRY SNOUT, HUMAN HEART

🍒💌🕊

     INA IS SURPRISED TO FIND how well she and Remus work together.

     The pair of them spend the next hour and a half in the library, bouncing ideas off of each other as they work on the Charms essay Flitwick had assigned them the week before. It's refreshing, she can't help but think, to work with someone actually excited to learn, and she thinks Remus feels the same way.

     Which is not to say that studying with Will or Zera or even Poppy (who has a strange knack for Arithmancy) is horrible—it's just that Will gets distracted easily, Zera often cares less about the coursework and more about the grade, and Poppy... Well, if it doesn't involve numbers, Poppy can't be arsed to try.

     Remus, though, seems to learn for the sake of learning. This is something Ina discovers quickly, when five minutes in she geeks out over Charms theory and instead of laughing at her, he actually joins in.

     "Surprised the hat didn't just put you in Ravenclaw," he jokes lightheartedly after the two of them spend 20 minutes on a tangent, debating the efficacy of the Bird-Conjuring charm.

     Ina flushes down to her feet. "Oh, I could never. Charms is just about the only subject I'm good at, actually..."

     Remus just smiles.

     "Hufflepuff does suit you better, though."

     She can't help but beam with pride. That might be the best compliment anyone has ever given to her.

     Ina watches as Remus rummages through the large stack of parchment he's accumulated over the last hour, before finally letting out a heavy sigh.

     "D'you happen to have your copy of Quintessence with you? Flitwick said something in class about nonverbal spells, but I can't remember exactly what it was..."

     She shakes her head regretfully. "No, sorry... I've left it in my dorm."

     "Me too..." He nods, crestfallen.

     Then, he rolls his neck, a hand shooting up to rub out a knot of stress.

     "Guess I'll go look for it..." He says regretfully, and Ina can't help but relate—the Hogwarts library, for how beautiful and magical it is, actually happens to terribly inconvenient for its function. 

     As in, it's almost impossible to find what you're looking for if you don't know exactly where it is before you go to find it.

     (Ina would recommend Madam Pince to look in the Dewey Decimal System, except for the fact that she's quite possible the most intimidating woman she has ever met.)