xii. Playing on my Mind

TWELVE PLAYING ON MY MIND

🍒💌🕊

     INA PATEL, WHO HAS ALWAYS PRIDED herself on being good at solving problems... is in crisis.

     Okay, so perhaps the situation isn't so dire that it requires such aggressive wording. And yet, when she wakes up Wednesday morning, long before the sun has risen with her heart threatening to beat out of her chest—well, she can't help but feel that maybe, even slightly, it's warranted.

     But, you may ask, what is this crisis? What exactly is it that could push her to the edge of a nervous breakdown so quickly?

     The answer to that would be, simply: her sister.

     Which, yes, it might be true that Ina can almost always be found in crisis over this particular topic (it comes with the territory when your sister is certifiably insane, unfortunately) but—today, on this wonderful Wednesday morning, Ina finds herself more on edge than she usually is, because of a certain letter. A letter that she isn't sure how to tell Zera about.

     She can't think of a scenario in which Zera doesn't break something after she finds out about what their mother has written to them, and believe her, she's thought for a very long time about it.

     All the way through the few hours before the sun had risen that morning, in fact, and then through breakfast, not to mention her Charms and Transfiguration lessons, and then lunch as well. In fact, she's still contemplating it, even as she trudges her way down to the greenhouses for, arguably, her least favorite lessons of all: Herbology.

     Ina knows how it sounds: coming from a Hufflepuff, especially. After all, who chooses their head of house's class as their least favorite? But honestly, she's had enough of plants to last her for years. She'll leave that part to Will, thank you very much!

     So, with a heavy heart and a preoccupied mind, she finds her way to greenhouse number six, slouching over to her usual bench and letting out a heavy sigh as she lets her bag drop to the floor.

     It's a fairly muggy day outside (typical Scottish weather, she supposes, but still not great for the hair...) and the greenhouse is humid and sticky, but Ina hardly notices as thoughts of Zera tumble through her head.

     Should she even tell her that their parents wrote back? After all, she didn't let Zera know in the first place that she was sending that letter... Who would it hurt if she kept this tiny little secret from her sister?

     If she doesn't tell Zera, then they won't have to have that conversation about their parents—the one that as of late, always seems to end with Zera yelling and Ina tired.