9 | Downhill

"I instantly know if you're happy or sad"

Tom was right. It gets easier. By that I don't mean that it actually is easy, it's just a little less hard. But it's not a continuous descent, it's not proportional like the graphs we used to analyse in math class. It's more like a drive through the mountains going up and down.

Some days it does hurt less but that doesn't mean the next day is even easier. An easy day can be followed by a tough day, a tough day can be followed by an easy day. There's really no pattern to it, no correct formula. The only thing I know is that overall it gets better.

After a few days I actually started paying attention in class and after a few weeks I even started raising my hand at some questions. Tom looks at me now. He doesn't ignore me anymore. I don't know if it makes me feel better though, now that he treats me like every other student. The tension between us is still there, not visible of course but I know we can both feel it. I can almost see the sparks when his eyes land on mine or when he calls my name. He always tries to hide his proud smile when I answer his questions correctly. And he always tries to hide the blush when I secretly wink at him. I don't think anyone would ever notice such small things. But I do. And he does. And there's just something between us when he stands there as my teacher and I sit there as his student. Something that no-one in the classroom can feel or understand. Except the two of us.

Evie and Holly think I'm over him. I don't talk to them about what I'm actually thinking while sitting in his class. The phantasies I have, the memories that flow trough my mind, the butterflies I still feel in my stomach. I don't tell them that. I know I can trust them but I really don't want to get Tom into any trouble. So I just keep it to myself. It's easier. And it's so tempting anyways. Having a secret crush on your teacher and nobody can know. I feel bad ass. I'll just keep my mouth shut until the end of the semester and then we can be together. It can't be that hard, right? It's the perfect plan. Nothing can go wrong. I'll wait for him until our time comes. As for now, I'm just one of his students.

Evie, Holly and I are on our way to first period. Today, is a good day, I think. We walk into the room and Tom turns around at our entrance.
"Good morning," he says to the three of us but his eyes only meet mine.

Holly and Evie mumble something close to 'Morning' still being tired and somewhat pissed at each other.

Our coffee machine is broken and Evie without a coffee in the morning is just a nightmare. But Holly in a fight with Evie because she didn't have coffee this morning is even worse.

"Morning, Mr. Felton," I grin at Tom and notice the dimples on his cheeks.

We walk to the back of the classroom and get in our seats. Tom is looking at some papers while waiting for the rest of the students to come in. I watch him the whole time, ignoring Holly and Evie snapping at each other next to me. How his hands firmly grip the top page and his hair falls into his face. How his eyes scan the words on the paper and his lips press together in concentration. I watch him. His eyes suddenly shoot up from the paper and look directly into mine. He raises his eyebrows in question and I just smile and shrug my shoulders. There's a trace of a grin appearing on his lips but suddenly he slams down the paper and jumps up from behind his desk making me wince.

"Good morning everyone! Recently, some of you asked me to talk a little bit about my.. uh.. experiences at the Harry Potter set... So I thought we could use today's lesson as a q&a type of thing," he scratches his neck nervously waiting for approval.

It's so cute how he always worries that his ideas don't catch on but I know that he could literally do anything and everyone in this classroom would be amazed.

"Amber," he calls the blonde who was the first to raise her hand.

"Well, I was just wondering if-" my ringtone cuts her off mid sentence and she turns around and looks at me pissed. "Would you turn off your phone?!"

It's weird because it's always silent during classes except for my emergency contact. My dad. Why would he call me in the middle of class? I fiddle with my coat pocket to pull it out and look at the display. It's my dad, just like I thought.

"Sorry," I say as I quickly leave the room to answer the call with Tom's worried expression following me out.

"Dad? What's wrong? Why are you-"

"Mika! You need to come to the hospital... now... Mum had an accident... I- Please just come as fast as you can."

I thought it was a good day.

But I guess it's just going downhill again.

A/N: We're currently #4 in tomfelton! Thank you so much for everyone reading this story! And don't forget to vote if you liked it :)