Eren X Reader : Blue Butterfly

the soft breeze blows away in the background, ruffling the virescent and tattered leaves on the old bark wooded tree. the jays are chirping their famous musical songs from the sky, the golden sun shining upon the grassy field below.

"hey, look at this!" the golden-haired boy softly nudges your side with his book, bringing your attention back to him. he scoots closer to you, close enough so that you can clearly be able to see the book set in his hands. with a slender finger, he points to a certain image on the page, the paper noticeably old and worn out, slightly a yellowish-brown, the corners of the material curling up and inwards.

looking down to where his pointer finger is directing to, you see a black and white photograph of a peculiar insect. you tilt your head, as if changing your perspective would help you understand it better.

it's... a butterfly? but this one is different. the wings almost look like they have fur, the antennas white and black, almost flawlessly painted in stripes, as if manmade.

"armin, what is this?" you lift your head to look at the boy, a puzzled expression on your face, but also a curious one, eyes pleading for him to tell you more.

armin looks at you with those bright blue orbs, eyes filled with flaming wonder and excitement, painfully happy that you want to know more about what he's showing you. "well you see, this is the-"

"armin!"

the both of you snap your heads in the direction of the voice. walking across the grassy area are mikasa and eren, eren being the one to call out armin's name. he's is waving his hand, a bright toothed smile plastered on his face. mikasa is beside him, a tiny smile on her face as well.

"hey guys!" armin gleefully waves his hand at the duo, eyes gleaming in the sunlight. mikasa and eren trot closer to the both of you, taking a seat across from you and armin on the grass. eren sits back in front of you, stretching his legs out to the side, extending his arms behind him to hold himself up, while mikasa sits cross-legged in front of armin.

a soft breeze blows over you guys. eren's gaze wanders to yours, and he smiles softly at you, turquoise orbs glowing. "hi."

you smile back. "hi."

"what are you looking at?" mikasa asks, curiously gazing at the thick book in armin's hands.

"oh, this!" armin beams, setting the book down on the grass in the middle of the four of you, the page still set on the mysterious butterfly he was showing you earlier. once again, he points to the image on the page, circling it. "i was going through it earlier, and i stumbled across this page. it's a butterfly."

"it looks interesting." eren points out, tilting his head to the side. you and mikasa nod your heads in agreement.

"well, that's because it is." armin looks up, eyes glancing over each of your faces before pointing directly at the butterfly.

"you see, it's called palos verdes blue." he positions his pointer finger on the wings. "it's wings are fuzzy, they look brown when they flutter closed. but when they are open, it's a mesmerizing shade of blue, almost silver. it's one of the rarest butterflies in the world. unique"

"wow", you mumble under your breath. besides the photo not being in color, you can see its beauty simply through the page.

you've always been a sucker for armin's new findings, you find them almost as fascinating as he does.

"it's beautiful." mikasa says.

"it is." eren seconds.

you all sit in silence, admiring the picture, and simply just the world around you.