13. How to Have Sudden Epiphanies

Immediately, Evangeline backed off of Laurie, her head bowing ever-so-slightly, a sour expression on her face

I didn't blame her. Though it didn't have much of an effect on me, I could hear the power reverberating off of that one, calmly-uttered word. Keith reacted in a similar way to Evangeline, bowing his head, though he looked more respectful than the interrogator.

Laurie, on the other hand, glanced up toward the door, her shirt hanging off of her in shreds, blood welling in the slashes Evangeline made across her abdomen. The Beta Female seemed to have forgotten all about that, as her eyes lit up.

"Luca." Her voice, which was already soft, turned to velvet.

The Beta's eyes met his mate's for a split second before he transferred his gaze to Evangeline.

"Beta," she mumbled, her hand shifting back into that of a human.

"What, pray tell, are you doing?" Every inch of Luca Rossi was calm - whether it was forced or natural was yet to be determined.

Nobody spoke for a long moment. The silence was nearly stifling. I fought against the urge to clear my throat.

"Interrogating the Hunter, as the Alpha requested." It was Keith who had spoken up, though his eyes were still trained on the ground. His hands flexed at his sides.

That's one way to put it, I guess.

"Oh?" Luca glanced at Keith for a moment before his brown eyes zoomed in on me. He glanced me over, his calm façade cracking when he frowned. "Funny. I don't remember the Alpha requesting torture."

My body turned against me at that moment. At Luca's words, my wounds flared with pain - my face, my arm, my leg, even the back of my head. My Hunter instincts dropped away like they were never even there.

Thanks for the help, I thought sarcastically.

There was no response from my inner voice.

My leg was now throbbing, the combination of my weight and the ache from the gashes forcing me to sink down onto the ground.

Keith sneered, Evangeline mirroring him, and Luca raised an eyebrow. Laura didn't seem to notice, her eyes still trained on her mate.

"That's what I said." She rolled her eyes before gesturing to the interrogator and the hotheaded male. "This one wouldn't listen, and this one was encouraging it."

"Besides," Evangeline piped in, raising her head to meet Luca's eyes. "Shouldn't the Alpha be glad I've incapacitated her, even if it was just a little? She won't be able to hurt any of us."

Realization flashed through me at her words.

She was scared.

Scared of me.