17. How to Confidently Improvise

I had absolutely no idea where I was going

Once, long ago, I had the map of the University of Toronto memorized. I had been absolutely obsessed with the place, my heart set on attending the school after I graduated. I had spent hours upon hours studying maps of the building and surrounding grounds, intent on committing it to memory so I wouldn't need to rely on anybody or anything to show me around.

That had been seven years ago. A lot can change in seven years.

I stopped moving, taking a moment to think. Where the hell am I?

When the pack took over the campus, they obviously made some changes to the place. For one, I don't remember there ever being a prison in the middle of the school. Then again, there hadn't been werewolves running around, either.

Plus, I didn't even know if the layout was even the same. For all I knew, they could have knocked down the separate buildings to craft one massive home. My mental map might be completely useless.

Stop being so pessimistic.

My inner voice had returned.

Welcome back to the land of the living, I thought.

What a great mess you've gotten yourself into, Reese.

I know, I threw the voice a mental sarcastic smile. Hey, I could use some of those great Hunter instincts right about now...

That is to say, my mental supernatural being-detector. When I was in full-on Hunter mode, I was always on my guard, always ready for a fight, and never caught by surprise. Regular Reese? She's been quite the mess lately and is rather unhelpful at the moment.

Though the Hunter part of me wasn't jumping to assist me either. My inner voice stayed silent, and I muttered under my breath as I continued trekking through the hall - which wasn't an easy task. Every wall, every door, every light looked exactly the same. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that I was walking around in circles.

Hmmm... maybe if I turn left here... and then right... wait, this kind of resembles the layout of the Department of Psychology... if I turn right here, then turn right again, then another left, that should lead to outside...

Turning left around the final corner, I found myself at a dead-end.

Or not. A wall's good too.

Sighing in annoyance, I leaned against the wall, gathering my thoughts. Where was I even going? I didn't even know the layout of this place anymore. How was I supposed to find the Alpha? Maybe I should have intimidated the watchdog into escorting me there, instead of locking him in my cell.

But then you'd be denied the pleasure of making a grand entrance.

Good point.

I turned around to inspect the wall. Maybe there was a hidden passage somewhere, one that would lead me to safety. While it wouldn't exactly be useful now, having a secret tunnel on standby would be a good way to escape when I inevitably grew tired of this place. I examined every piece of wall, running my hands along its hard form, searching for something, anything...