30. How to Learn and Listen

I know I had all but told Elijah that I was going to leave him with blue balls for a while, but it took all of my will to not turn around, throw my door open, and jump him

Honestly, that was probably the worst decision I'd ever made. While I wasn't sure if the decision in question was kissing Elijah Randon while practically giving him a hand job or leaving him stewing, I think it was safe to assume that both cases were equally fantastic in proving at how horrible I was in the act of decision-making.

With a long sigh, I waltzed down the hall, forcing myself to add a spring to my step. Oh, who was I kidding? The Alpha was probably rejected for the first time in his life! By me! Oh, what a glorious, glorious day.

While my brain was simmering with glee, my body was still demanding that I turn around this instant and go to finish what I started.

Nah, I think I'll pass, for now. Go work off the excess energy in a completely different, non-sexual way. Maybe I'll find Keith and beat him up. I would serve him right for nearly killing me.

"Reese?"

I halted in my tracks, vanishing my thoughts as I came face to face with none other than Laurie Johnston. While I'd only really met the Beta Female once, I'd managed to gather that she didn't completely hate my guts. Either that, or she's a nice person with an astonishing gift for hiding her emotions.

Or it could be both. You never know.

"Er - hi," I needed to find Rebecca and brag to her about my recent achievements. Maybe it would pull the witch-talk out of her brain.

Laurie glanced me over, curiosity shadowing her expression. "Are you okay? You seem a bit... on edge."

Hmmm, I wonder why that is? Oh, yes, because my goddamned hormones are interfering with the master plan I have yet to come up with.

Yeah... my plan to destroy this pack from the inside, thus taking down Elijah once and for all? I'm still not sure how to do that. I've been stuck here for nearly two months, and only have two allies to show for it. Well, Rebecca is definitely an ally. Simon wasn't as definitive just yet.

But perhaps Laurie... apart from my two allies, Laurie's the only other werewolf whose first impulse wasn't to kill me; in fact, she had seemed to be quite against the idea of Evangeline torturing me for information - which Elijah seems to have given up on getting for the time being. But was it possible that Laurie was a little bit of a human sympathizer? Could I get her on my side?

Probably not. She was mated to Luca, the Beta, Elijah's right hand. To betray Elijah would be to betray her mate, and as far as I knew, that went against every fiber of her being. I think. The mate bond between werewolves wasn't something I'd ever been too interested in knowing about.

But perhaps knowing how tethered Luca and Laurie were to one another could be interesting. I knew mates were pulled together by an invisible force of some kind. I knew they had this weird biting ritual that apparently solidifies the bond. I knew that being apart from one another for too long was painful for both parties. That was pretty much as far as my knowledge went, gathered from my time as a fourteen-year-old human who had an obsession with supernatural fanfiction.