04. How to Become the Predator

My hand itched for my silver dagger, but I knew grabbing it now wouldn't end well - for me

My hand itched for my silver dagger, but I knew grabbing it now wouldn't end well - for me. I'm sure it would end splendidly for him.

Wait until you have the upper hand.

Unfortunately, he caught me by surprise. I know I ran headfirst into this park looking for him, but I didn't expect to run into him this way. I thought I'd have more time to prepare...

This is on you, Reese. You went in headfirst, eyes closed, without a plan. Whatever happens next is merely a result of your own stupidity.

My inner voice growled at me, reprimanding me. I ordered it to be quiet.

Ryker took another step closer to me. I quickly added to the distance between us, suddenly wary. All too aware of the phase of the moon that hung in the sky above us, illuminating everything but the shadows.

"You know who I am, girl, but who are you?" His head was still tilted to the side, his amber eyes questioning. "How did you manage to identify me so quickly?"

Don't answer, was my immediate thought. But logic told me that not answering was just as suspicious as telling the truth.

So I did what I did best, what I always did while baiting my targets.

Slip into character. Improvise. Lie your ass off.

"Your face is a well-known one," I said. "The best friend of Nicholas Randon, heir to Toronto's pack? Possibly the future Beta as well...?" I allowed a question to slip into my words, as though I was not precisely sure of the answer.

He came even closer, and I was all too aware of the forest closing in around me. It was only a matter of time before backed I myself into a tree - and I wasn't about to take my eyes off of him to check just how close that time was.

"You're particularly observant, for a human," he commented. "Braver than most, too. Most would be running for the hills by now, especially upon meeting an unmated wolf during a full moon..."

I don't like the implication behind his words...

I let out a nervous chuckle, taking another step back. No tree yet. "The full moon is the night where a grown wolf finds their mate, yes?" I knew the answer, but I voiced my thoughts aloud anyways. "I never really understood why it was so dangerous..."

The moment the words flew out of my mouth, I called up my memory to remember everything I've read about the full moon.

A full moon is the only night where a werewolf can find their mate. Everything about them is heightened that night, allowing them to locate their other half. The full moon is when the wolf is at their most powerful - sight, hearing, smell; everything is augmented and twice as strong as usual. Many unmated werewolves, who have searched for many years to find their mate, with no luck, develop a rather powerful sexual drive...