Random Facts About lying/Decepetion

Facts found from factinate.com and littletnings.com

1. 60% of people lie at least once in ten-minute conversations, according to a study published in the Journal of Basic and Applied Social Psychology. People do this because they want to be likeable and viewed as competent.

2. For people who don't grow up with good modeling, or haven't developed good mental health, lying is a way to cope. (Well shit, I do this all the time.)

3. A rare condition referred to as pseudologia fantastica is a type of pathological lying.

4. Research shows that Americans lie 11 times a week on average. That's a little over one lie per day. (so what do y'all lie about?)

5. People suck at telling when someone else is lying. Studies show that people can tell when someone is lying about as accurately as they can call a coin toss—about 52% of the time.

6. Aphasics—people who have had the left cerebral hemisphere of their brain damaged—are better at detecting lies than people without that damage. Because they cannot understand sentences, they have to rely on nonverbal cues, and thus are better at spotting lies. (Wow, these people are cool.) 

7. While shifty eyes aren't a sign that you're being lied to, pupil response is. When we're lying our pupils dilate.

8. Overall, liars' stories tend to have less cohesion than someone telling the truth. They're more likely to correct themselves mid-story than truth tellers.

9. People who have high emotional intelligence are more likely to fall for emotional lies. (Damn it.)

10. Psychologists have been carefully compiling a list of facial expressions, body language, and speech patterns that can help people tell when someone is lying. They're working on creating software that will analyze facial expressions, and catch people when they lie

11. People who listen to liars, rather than watch them, are better at detecting the lies. This is because they describe liars as sounding "more nervous." Voices tend to reach a higher pitch when people are lying. 

12. People who are lying are less likely to use hand movements when they talk. (Oh shit, I move my hands when I talk.)

13. The closer you are to someone, the better you can tell if they're lying to you. That's because you already understand their personality, how they talk, how they gesture, and how much eye contact they make. (Lol, good thing no one is that close to me.)

14. People who lie often lie to themselves too.

15. Unsurprisingly, we lie the most when we're teenagers—between the ages of 13-17. The ages we lie the least? When we're six through eight years old.

16. According to some research, lying is a sign of intelligence in children. Studies show that the earlier kids start lying to you, the smarter they are.

17. People tend to lie way more in writing than face-to-face.

18. Due to the psychological toll that lying takes on a person, liars are bound to use fewer, moretentative words when speaking.

19. Researchers found that it was easier to spot lies when the person was telling them to an attractive person.

20. Lying adds stress to your life, which can take a huge toll on your physical well-being.

Wow. These are so intriguing, what fact was your favorite? Mine were 9, 11, and 13. What fact did you not like? Any suggestions for what I should do next? Thanks for reading my Lovelies ❤️ 

Please vote!

Whimsical-Soul