His moonlight.

CW/TW: death, hanging, blood, etc! 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Princess!" He calls out to the frail princess as he shoves people away. His anger, overflowing at the uniformed guards that stop him from advancing further.

"Don't block me, don't you know who I am?!" he tries to shove them away but fails. 

He calls out to the blonde-haired princess standing on the wooden platform with chains on her hands as she gazes toward him silently. 

"Princess, take my hand! I can help you, please!"

But could he really? With what confidence does he say those words? What power did he have to help someone, a royal, who was to be executed on such charges?

She stares at him with eyes that caught the light of the sun, so different from Jennette's which were always so dull. 

"...Ijekiel." 

He listens to her soft voice that dissolves into the wind, still trying to break away from the guards hold on his arms. 

"- ..."

Her mouth stopped moving as she stepped towards the noose that swung in the light wind, and her hair that was golder than his eyes is held up with a delicate hand as the rough rope descends upon her. 

"No- no! Princess Athanasia!"

She gives him a smile, her lips curling up as a tear travels down her pale cheek. "Goodbye..Ijekiel." 

His knees collapse under him as he watches and after god knew how long, covers his eyes with both his hands as he sobs brokenly on the chilled cobblestones of the city square.

Then night fell, and his coat couldn't protect him from the cold any longer and he slowly lowers his hands from his tear-streaked face, the moon alighting upon his eyes that glowed with hellfire instead of the sun's warmth.

"Wait for me, your highness. Watch from the heavens above as I exact revenge upon those who dared to make you walk to your death, for I will make them pay with their lives for murdering you, my princess."

And Ijekiel's hand covers the brooch at his neck, smoothing over the gem that she had given him all those years ago. For a princess who should not be near the throne was in the palace at this very moment, as was an emperor who had killed his only daughter.

Ijekiel stumbled as he made his way through the darkened streets, his hair catching the moonlight, just as her highness' hair had caught the sun's rays just hours prior.

Ah- your highness, princess Athanasia..what use was your name that meant eternal life?

Ijekiel wiped the tears that still fell, and his sleeves dried in the frosty wind as he tried to halt his hiccuping sobs before he arrived at his residence, and his father stood in the dark hall, but all Ijekiel could see was the sword that hung near the door.

He stands over his father's body, his cuffs bloodied as he pulls the sword out from Roger Alpheus' chest, and he had never felt so damning, yet so free. 

His hands shook before he crumpled the bloody shirt that hung loose from his pants as he gripped the sword with a firm grip.

"I should have done this earlier, right, your highness?" Ah, my beloved princess, you who had your beautiful life cut short because of a blatant lie

A cold touch at the back of his neck makes him smile as he wipes the blood of the sword. "Now, all I have to do is wait." 

And so the new Duke waited for the dawn, for the next place his sword would spatter the walls was-

the palace.