to be bound in Heaven

Her highness, the crown princess of the empire, Athanasia.

A distinguishable flower even amongst others. An untouchable jewel upon a precarious cliff, above the crashing waves of the tumultuous sea. 

He had seen her, an angel falling from the heavens into his arms, twice. Both times, awestruck by her beauty, and by her wit.

Was she even real? He often wondered. Even as she lay underneath him, his name whispered from those rosy lips as she smiled.

He caressed her face, and she leans into his hand as they stand together in the meadow. Just another walk for her, but for him, he holds her tightly, praying she would never leave him.

He loves how she says his name, "Ijekiel" sounding so sweet on her precious lips. 

How her body fit with his, like they were meant to be from the very beginning. How she had accepted his every dance, his proposal as he went down on one knee with a ring he hoped she would like. 

How he had thrown away being the heir of the Alpheus dukedom for her, how she had him tightly wound on her finger, how he was hers in every sense of the word.

He watched as she tucked a strand of golden hair behind her ear, and he places a flower there-gently, oh so gently, and sees her lips curl up into a beatific smile. The rising sun framing her from behind, radiating an aura of heavenly light.

How had she, the beloved princess of Obelia, picked someone like him? He gives himself some credit yes, but she was leagues above him, an existence that would come once in a lifetime.

He remembers his childhood, studying in Arlanta when his father sends him a message, even then her highness was smart, smarter than he could have ever hoped to be in those days. 

Now, he thanks his father for making him study a bit longer, keeping up with her highness' thoughts, to keep her amused-following her discussions with officials about territories, and understanding it. 

He had, once, been in line to be the next duke, one of few in the whole empire, and he succeeded in the path.

His father was understandably thrilled in the prospect of having his son's name in the imperial household, but was subdued at Ijekiel reminding him that he would be a prince consort when they get married, and an emperor consort at best. 

"Bah! That princess of your's isn't even fully of noble blood, what could she possibly do as emperor?" Ijekiel, stunned at his father's callous words, flattened his mouth into a line, and pushed him aside, ignoring his father's shouting. 

He knew it was because of that one encounter with his princess, when she was but a youth. 

His father never told him what exactly she had said, but his haunted eyes, and crescent shaped wounds on his palms told Ijekiel it wasn't something to be easily forgot.

After that, when he and the princess had announced their engagement, his father- from the words of the butler-slapped Jennette, and had tossed her out to a low ranking county's family in the countryside, muttering "Useless thing. Would rather have....too unnatural..? But... carriage....Penelope..." 

Ijekiel soon found out what his mumbled words had meant when news came of Jennette and her aunt's passing in a carriage accident, tumbling off the side of a mountain in stormy weather. Their bodies discovered soon after, under the wreckage.

Getting over his apparent shock, he of course told the princess, and to his astonishment, she flicked those gem eyes at him-the ones he gazed at with such reverence, with so much love-, and with a, "My condolences on your loss," she went on marking the papers, not even a blot of ink out of place on them to show surprise-if she had felt any. 

He pushed that to the side, the princess had never really met his cousin, besides that once at her debutante, and it wasn't particularly memorable. Ijekiel's excuse made sense even to him, and he continued to pass papers from various stacks to her for approval.

They were wed at the cusp of spring, doves flying over their heads, cascading white ribbons, and flower petals in festivities. And Ijekiel thought he was the happiest he had ever been. He was wrong. 

When Princess Athanasia gave birth to a baby girl, with her eyes and his hair color, he wept as he held them to his chest. He- he was happy.

 He- he was happy