6: What if?, 'debutante.'

The years continue to pass and both Athanasia and Ijekiel have grown up, and it's finally...finally time for her debutante.

She had declined Ijekiel's hand, but promised him her second dance. 

Wondering if he'd still have Jennette as a partner, and the world tumbled to a stop as she's shaken awake at dawn by Lily and the others.

Continuing to get ready for an event that could either make her or break her, and society would either see the only princess of Obelia safely reach fourteen today, or they would see the coming of a new princess who had already reached fifteen.

She magics away the ruined skin around her fingernails before Hannah and Cess start to paint her nails, and she hides the growing ball of anxiety in the pit of her stomach.

Everything would be alright. Just like papa, uncle, Lily and Felix always said. 

She's standing at the top of the steps before she realizes what's happened, and the night chill makes her rub at her arms as she descends the staircase with Felix's help, giving him a thankful look and complimenting his uniform of the night.

Felix gives her a smile that reaches his eyes, and the half-moons he makes are dear to her heart as she swings his hand a little before letting go with genial cheer.

Claude stands at the bottom, a slightly sad, lonely look in his eyes that suggested he was seeing her mother in her. 

Nostalgia afoot from the red rubies of her accessories and the soft pink of her dress, and she bounds to him, his hand already reaching out to help her into the carriage.

"Aren't you cold, Athanasia?" 

It was such a Claude thing to say and she lets out a peal of mirth, her breath in the air as they slide into the carriage, heat enveloping them as Anastasius lets out an exaggerated gasp at the sight of them.

"Dear me, niece! And I thought us two were the only ones dressing up tonight!" She flaps her hand at him, "Uncle, enough!!" but she's smiling contentedly at his cheerful compliment. 

The carriage is warm, as was her heart as she waves goodbye to Felix as he goes in before them, and tensely holds her father's hand as they're announced.

"His Imperial majesty, Claude de Alger Obelia!"

"Her Imperial highness, Athanasia de Alger Obelia!"

"His royal highness, Anastasius de Alger Obelia!"

She's a little frightened at the obvious stares the nobility give her, but with a freezing glare from Claude, they lower their heads, and she and her father make their way into the center as Anastasius sidles off to the side next to Felix and Lily.

They dance, and Athanasia apologizes endlessly for stepping on his toes, but Claude brushes it off as he twirls her around and up into the air above his head.