Angel

"Why me?"

It certainly wasn't the appropriate answer towards a marriage proposal, but Ijekiel couldn't do anything but stammer it out anyways. He had received a marriage proposal from the only princess of the Obelian Empire, and as desperately as he wanted to say yes, and forget about everything else, he felt he had to know.

Her blonde hair sways in the wind, and she tucks her locks behind her ear. She smiles at him, the brightness incomparable to even the sun's beauty, and he gapes before realizing he had missed her words. "I sincerely apologize, your highness, would you repeat that?" 

She giggles aloud, and his ears feel hot under her gaze as she reaches forward to grasp his hands in her own. "I said, because you're the one I want to spend the rest of my life with."

Ah. So this was what bliss felt like. Ijekiel's eyes grow blurry, and he can no longer see through the tears that cloud his vision. He can hear her lilting laughter, can feel how her dainty fingers wipe away his tears for him, and how she tugs at his hands to pull him towards the awaiting carriage. He stumbles along the grass, his heart not skipping a beat, but two, instead.

The months seem to pass by in a frenzy of movement, clock hands showing Ijekiel it had already passed noon, and suddenly it's dawn. He had barely any time to meet with her highn- with Athanasia since that day, and he sighs. 

Fumbling with a key as he opens his desk drawer, lifting up the false bottom to reveal the dozens of envelopes that were stamped with the Imperial seal.

The letters he had sent her while he was at the Academy in Arlanta had received responses, and he still remembers, very fondly in fact, at how he had read the neat calligraphy over and over to himself. 

He had caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and was flustered at how happy his expression had been. What a fool he had been to try and hide it all away, when had he been straightforward, he wouldn't have lost so much time.

Now? Now, Athanasia had made things right for them. He laughs softly, his shoulders shaking as he covers his mouth with his hand, his golden eyes half moons as he smiled. She hadn't gotten down on one knee per say, but her wording had been something that would remain in his memories for a very long time.

"Ijekiel Alpheus- I, Athanasia de Alger Obelia, formally ask for your hand in marriage." She was never a person to go around the bush like those who hid behind their friend's backs, peeking out at the confrontation. 

Her tactic was always to hit it straight on, and he had to admit, it was a formidable strategy to behold in person. His mouth had dropped in utter befuddlement, and with her sky blue dress and her blonde hair framed by the setting sun, he had to blink away the stars. But they didn't disappear.

For she was "his" star. "His" angel. "His."

Her veil covers her face, but her hair had little pearl strands woven through, her face hidden from him but he knew- she was a vision. As his fingers reached under the veil to uncover her face, a breeze flings it back for him, and her teasing smile is revealed to him. 

She was ethereal beyond his imagination. Just like that time when she had fallen from the sky. Just like that time he had seen her from afar in court. Just like that time he had the honor of dancing with her at the debutante.

But now, it was different. 

Now? 

She was in front of him. 

Now? 

She had a glinting ring upon her finger and was pressing a kiss to his lips. 

Now?They belonged to each other now.