All done, Little Black.

The first thing that Regulus thought as James kissed him, was how soft his lips were.

The kiss was short, just the gentle press of lips on lips, again and once more. James pulled back and Regulus kept his eyes shut. It had felt nice, and he'd be lying to himself if he said he didn't want to do it again.

You shouldn't feel this way.

James' thumb brushed over Regulus' cheek and it snapped him out of whatever daze he was in.

"I, erm, should probably get some sleep now." James avoided eye contact and rubbed the back of his neck before standing up and turning away. Regulus sat for a few moments, fingers tracing his warm lips.

Then, he ripped the snake ring off his finger, pressing it firmly into his palm. He stood up and launched the heirloom over the balcony. Regulus watched as the small glint of silver disappeared into the trees, and sank back down onto the floor.

Fuck.

***
Regulus was a mess. The next morning neither he nor James mentioned what happened the night before... And maybe that was a good thing. Except Regulus didn't understand.

Did he do it because he likes me or because he just wanted to help me out? I guess just because you kiss someone doesn't mean you necessarily like them... he was just being nice.

Regulus turned his phone on and rolled his eyes. 47 missed calls and almost 60 texts from his mother sat on his notifications. He looked around before unlocking the screen and going to his voicemails. James was downstairs with the rest of the family, so Regulus didn't have to worry about him overhearing his mother's awful screams.

Triggering content: verbal abuse and unintentional? Self-harm.

He pressed play and held the phone up to his ear, listening to his mother's voice flood through the line like a tsunami. He waited until the end and then boredly clicked on the other messages. "...you're a sinful child and deserved to be taught a lesson, just like your evil brother... you wait 'till I see you..."

Regulus sighed and then clicked onto some of the texts. Messages filled with hateful comments and insults filled the page. There were also few demands for his location and to come home. Regulus sat on the edge of his bed and shut his eyes tightly before reading on. He wouldn't cry.

Mother always said crying was for weak children.

But what did it matter? As Regulus read on, he was only named weak and cowardly by his mother. He let a single tear run down his cheek but wiped it away furiously. Regulus hand shook as he scrolled to the bottom of the page.

Don't ever think about coming home, or even consider calling yourself my son. I'd never want to be associated with such a disappointing, sad excuse of a human.

The words echoed in Regulus' head and made him feel worthless. He shoved his phone away and tried to calm down. He knotted his hands in his hair and rocked back and forth slowly. Tears kept falling.

You're worthless...

You're a disappointment...

Idiotic child...

"Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!" he screamed, grabbing his phone, standing, and then launching it onto the floor so it cracked. Regulus dropped onto his knees and sobbed. He pulled back his arm and punched the floor. Then again. And again. Until his knuckles ached and he felt like smacking his head into the wall even harder to drown out the numbing pain.

Triggering section over.
Recap: Regulus' mother sent hateful voicemails and texts to Regulus. Out of anger and hurt, he injured his hand. He also smashed his phone.

The door slammed open and Regulus opened his eyes to see James standing in shock. Then he rushed forwards to Regulus, pulling his arms away so he couldn't hurt himself anymore. "Oh shit, Reg. What the hell happened?"

Regulus couldn't speak, sobs uncontrollably escaping his mouth. James pulled him in close and stroked his hair to try and calm Regulus down. "Shh. It will be okay. Im right here. It's okay, Reg."

"I'm sorry. I'msosorry," Regulus rushed out. He looked down to see blood on James's shirt and then he pushed himself away out of James reach.

He's going to hate me.

James stretched a hand out but Regulus jumped away again. "Don't fucking touch me!"

James looked hurt but stepped back a little. "I won't hurt you... I just want to help."

"Please," Regulus whispered into his hands. "Please just leave me alone, James."

Slowly, James approached  Regulus and moved his hands away. "I'm sorry, but no can do." Regulus sniffed and rolled his eyes, instantly shaking his head. "Look, you don't have to tell me what's wrong, but at least let me clean you up, okay? Mum and Sirius heard the banging and want to know what happened. I doubt you want them to see you like this."

Regulus shook head again, and James smiled softly. "Come on. We'll go to the bathroom so I can sort out your hand."

James led Regulus down the corridor and into the bathroom, sitting him down on a stool.

He wiped over the cut, and asked Regulus to clench and unclench his hand. "It's all good. I don't think anything's broken."

Regulus just remained silent, sniffling and trying to control his tears. At least he wasn't wailing like a baby anymore.

James wrapped a bandage around Regulus' bruised knuckles and then wiped away his tears with gentle fingers. "There. All done, Little Black."

Regulus opened his eyes and nodded. James then cupped his face with both hands and leaned forwards, placing a kiss on Regulus' forehead. Regulus sleepily leaned into his touch, not thinking properly, and then shut his eyes again. "You look pretty tired now. Wanna go for a nap?"

"Please," Regulus said. He started to stand, but James held him back and picked Regulus up by the waist. He carried him back down the corridor carefully. Once they reached James room, he placed Regulus on the bed and tucked the covers around him. "I'll be back in a minute, okay?"

"Where are you going?" Regulus murmured.

"I'm just telling mum and Sirius that you're sleeping and everything's fine."

"Okay."

Regulus watched as James walked out of the room and then sighed deeply.

I'm such an idiot.

He buried himself further into the covers and willed them to consume him whole.

At least then I wouldn't have to face James.

The door opened a few minutes later and James walked back in, running a hand through his hair. He laid down next to Regulus and looked at him concerned. "How are you feeling?"

"Empty."

James didn't say anymore, just reached out and squeezed Regulus hand gently. "Get some sleep. I'll wake you up in a few hours for dinner."

Regulus nodded and closed his eyes, inhaling the smell of James that surrounded him. Sleep came easy for the first time in a while.

___________
They're so cute and soft I love them.

And yes, I'm aware there were no modern day cellphones in the 70s, but humor me and pretend there were please.