Don't Forget That.

It was getting closer to the end of summer, and Regulus wasn't looking forward to going back to school.

Things were great here. He and James were together- kind of. To be honest, Regulus still didn't know how he really felt. And, he wasn't sure whether he was gay or not. He hadn't really found anyone attractive before, let alone guys.

About 3 weeks before they return to school, James and Sirius left to stay around their friend's house. Regulus wasn't sure about this. He didn't like the idea of sleeping alone in James' bed.

Obviously, he'd never admit it. Yet, only an hour after his brother and James had left, Regulus pulled out his new phone and messaged James.

Regulus: it feels weird without you here.

James: i miss you too.

Regulus: i didn't say I missed you.

James: you really think I don't know you well enough to understand that's what you meant?

Regulus: you're annoying.

James: you'll see me again tomorrow, it's not like I'm dying.

Regulus: yeah. I know.

James: hey bro
James: i get you miss Prongsie and everything but we need him rn to pull a prank on lily.
James: so byeeeeee

James: sorry, Sirius took my phone.

Regulus: it's okay
Regulus: you should go.

James: I'll message you later.

Regulus: bye.

Regulus glanced at the time. It was only half 8 and he was already feeling sleepy. He turned off his phone and reached for James' jumper, which had been thrown on the end of the bed.

After putting it on, Regulus turned off the lamp and laid down on James' side of the bed.

It's only one night. Why are you so worried?

His inner voice battled with him. Regulus wanted it to shut up. What if he realises he doesn't want you anymore now he's got a chance to escape you?

Regulus buried his face into the pillow and wished the thoughts away. He hated that even now, his doubts still got the best of him.

James wasn't like that. Regulus knew he wasn't.

Slowly, trying to think about happy memories from the summer, Regulus drifted off into sleep.

***
James was worried. He knew he shouldn't be, but he was. Regulus hadn't answered his messages. James told himself he was just being stupid and that Reg had just fallen asleep.

But what if he was hurt?

Yes, James' parents were home, but that didn't mean Regulus was 100% okay.

Around 11, James got up and nudged Sirius- who was gazing at Remus fondly. "Hey."

Sirius turned his attention to James. "Yeah?"

"I...um...forgot my toothbrush at home. So I think imma go back and get it."

Sirius stared at him for a moment before chuckling. "You could just say you want to go home to see him. I'm sure Regulus is fine."

James was relieved that he didn't have to lie. "I know. I just have to check. He hasn't answered any of my messages..."

Sirius shook his head and patted James on the shoulder "Go. It's not like we're doing much here, anyway."

James got up and grabbed his stuff. "Thanks. I don't think I'll be back...  so, have fun, you guys." He waved and walked out of Peter's house, heading towards the nearest bus stop.

***
It took him half an hour to get home. The lights were off, so James crept as quietly as he could up the stairs and to his room.

He took a deep breath and braced himself for the worst, before opening the door. It was pretty dark. He walked over to the bed and turned the lamp on.

Regulus lay in bed, wrapped up in the duvet and James' hoodie, a peaceful expression on his sleeping face.

James sighed and gently sat down next to him. Relief flooded through him.

I was worried for no reason.

He reached out and ran his hand through Regulus' hair. He really did look so pretty like this. James had to refrain from laughing at how comical Regulus looked in his oversized Gryffindor sweater. Not only was it way too big for him, but Regulus also hated the item.

James remembered how just a couple of weeks before, he had offered to let Regulus wear it (all his own jumpers were in the wash) and the boy had scowled in hatred.

"Just because you don't like football," James had said.

"It's not that. I just hate the stupid thing."

James moved so he was laying next to Regulus and kissed his exposed shoulder lightly.

He closed his eyes and pressed his face against Regulus' hair. Even though he was okay, James was still glad he'd come back.

Because, laying with Regulus in his arms, keeping him safe and protected, was the only thing he ever wanted to do.

James smiled contentedly and tightened his hold around Regulus.

"I'm not ever letting you go, Baby Black," he whispered. "Please don't ever doubt that."

James closed his eyes and let himself relax.

Regulus' heart quickened but kept his eyes closed. Three words he was too scared to whisper back, echoed in his head.

Maybe tomorrow.

_________
Sorry for the long wait for this update, I've been pretty busy with school recently.

There's probably only gonna be a few more chapters after this one, as I don't really have a certain direction for this story to go in.

(Please let me know of any mistakes)

Thanks for reading:)))