Please, Just Stop.

After napping for a while, Regulus was woken up and joined everyone downstairs for dinner. Apart from checking to make sure he was okay, no one really said anything. Regulus was glad, he didn't want to explain himself. He hadn't even told Sirius all the horrible things their mother said to him.

Once dinner was finished, Regulus retreated back to the library, avoiding the questioning gaze of James. He could wait. Instead, he spent five almost two hours sat in his chair, observing the tall shelves of books and peeing out of the small window. [Books before boys am I right?]

At 11, Regulus walked back upstairs. James was laying in bed, scrolling through his phone. "Hey, Reg," he said as Regulus sat next to him.

"Hey."

"You feeling okay?"

Stop caring so much.

"Yeah. I'm just tired."

James turned off his phone and switched the lamp off, rolling over to face him. "Get some sleep then."

"I don't think I can."

James thought for a moment. "Well at least just lie here and relax."

Regulus nodded and watched James close his eyes and turn back over.

Why does he care? I don't get it.

I don't understand why he kissed me, or why he helped me with my hand.

I want to tell him... everything.

I want to tell him what my mother said.

So why is it so hard?

I just... I want to understand.

Regulus heard the duvet shuffle beside him and warm skin brush against his uninjured hand. Fingers intertwined with his own and he turned to peer at James questioningly.

"Stop overthinking everything, Reg."

"How did you..."

"I could tell by the way your breathing got shallower. You do that when you're worried." Regulus looked at him in shock, a thousand questions running through his head. "I noticed it that day in the pool. When you were uncertain about going in."

He noticed something that little?

"You pay that much attention to me?" Regulus asked.

James' eyes locked onto his. "Of course I do." He said the words as if they were a simple explanation. As if it made everything clear and answered every question Regulus had. Instead, it just made him more unsure. "Now go to sleep, alright? The last thing you need is to be stressing over whatever is on your mind."

Regulus nodded and sighed. James gently squeezed his hand and let go, pulling the covers over them. He closes his eyes and sunk into the pillows. Regulus stayed watching him for a moment, his hand feeling empty and cold all of a sudden. He reached out and joined their fingers together again.

Regulus stroked James' knuckles with his thumb and whispered a quiet goodnight, not failing to notice how a small smile appeared on James' face as he spoke.

It may not have seemed like much- a simple goodnight- but James knew it was Regulus' own way of saying 'I trust you now.'

Something I've never been able to do.

***
Regulus clenched his fists and rolled his eyes. "Just drop it, James. Please."

"No."