Chapter one

Scarlett's POV:
"GREENIE DAY," I screamed across the glade as I walked from my hut, to breakfast.
"Damn Scarlett you want the grievers to hear you. Nearly gave me a heart attack," Minho stated grumiply, as he walked towards the maze.
"Someone's in a mood!"
I walked into the kitchen and grabbed breakfast. I went and sat down at a table with Newt and Gally.
"Morning!"
"Well aren't you happy this morning love," Newt said as I sat down.
"Yeah! It's better than your usual morning self. You just walk around mad at the world."
"Oh shut up Gally! Of course I'm happy. It's greenie day!" I always loved greenie day. Though it was sad to see another poor shank come up into this hellhole, atleast we had a new addition. A new face to talk to. And watching the fear on their face when they first come up, is absolutely hilarious.
"Well, the box should be coming up soon," Gally said, checking his watch. "But first...."
"What do you need me to do," I sighed.
"I need you to fix the fence at the blood house. Winston said the sheep almost got out last night."
"Come on Gally! I want to be there when the box comes up!"
"There won't be dinner tonight if we don't fix it."
"Fine," I said exasperated,"but you owe me."
"I know, I know."
I got up from my seat and started walking towards the builders hut to grab my things to fix the fence.
"I wish I could be there when the greenie comes up," I muttered to myself, as I walked towards the blood house.
"Morning Winston."
"Morning Scarlett. The broken fence is right out back, on your right"
I walked out and got work, hammering away.

After a while I was almost finnished, that's when I heard the buzzer. My head swiveled towards the box, that was just about to arrive. I knew I had to finnish quickly. I saw everyone run towards the box. Between the dense crowd, I briefly saw Gally and Newt jump in to the box. I turned my head back to my work, when all of a sudden I heard yelling. I turned back to the box, and saw what I'm guessing was the new greenie, sprinting away from the box. He was pretty fast. For a second I thought he was actually going to run out into the maze. Then he face planted. I heard the rest of the boys laughing and I laughed with them. I turned back to the fence after to finish up.

I finally hammered in the final nail, so I grabbed my stuff and went to look for Newt. I knew he'd be with the greenie.
I saw him walking with the greenie and decided to scare him. He hates it when I do that. I quietly snuck up behind him and yelled.
"Boo!"
"Bloody hell Scarlett! Are you trying to kill me!"
"Of course not Newt," I said batting my eyes.
"Yeah, sure. Anyways greenie, this is Scarlett, Youngest glader and only girl."
"Hey."
"Hey! I watched you running earlier greenie. You were pretty good. Until you face planted," I snickered.
"Be nice," Newt said, while glaring mockingly.
"What!? It was funny watching the greenie eat dirt. So anyways, remember your name yet?"
"No. I don't remember anything."
"That's okay. None of us do."
"Scarlett!" Gally yelled, from the other side of the glade.
"Well I gotta run. I'll see you two at the bonfire," I said as I started running towards Gally and the Builders.
"Hey what's up?"
"You see the greenie eat it earlier," Gally asked while laughing.
"Of course I did," I said smirking, as I got to work.

*Later at the bonfire*
I sat with some of the Builders talking and laughing as they all drank.
I saw Alby talking with Newt and the greenie, so I decided to go over.
"Hey guys."
"Hey Scarlett. I was just about to tell the greenie about the different jobs he has to try tomorrow. Do you want to explain them?" Alby asked.
"Yeah why not. So you see greenie, over there, those are the Gardeners. They grow everything we'd need for food.
Then there's Winston and the other Slicers. They nurture, raise, then slaughter the animals that come up in the box.
Now over there are the Builders with their keeper, Gally. He's my older brother. I'm also a builder. Occasionally a cook along with Frypan over there.
Then there's the Sloppers. If you're not good at anything here, you're a Slopper.
And finally, the Runners. They run the maze everyday,  trying to find us a way out. Think you understand?"
"Yeah I guess so."
"Great," I said slapping him on the back, "you're going to fit in just fine."
Of course little did we know, Thomas wouldn't be her very long. None of us would be.