Chapter seven

Scarlett's POV:
I woke up and got out of bed. As usual. I ate breakfast. As usual. And I went to work. As usual. It was a normal quiet day. Almost too quiet and normal. As if everything that has happened lately, just never happened. I watched as Newt showed Teresa around today. I knew it would be different having another girl around. But I mean, we probably weren't going to be around here for much longer. Thomas and Minho didn't go out into the maze today. They spent most of the day in the map room, trying to figure out a strategic way out of here without getting us all killed. I just tried to focus on work.

I finnished work later than usual. I was onmy way to grab a late dinner from Frypan, when something felt off. I couldn't quite figure it out until it hit me. I sprinted to find Alby or Newt.

I burst through the homestead ro find Newt standing there.
"Scarlett what's wrong!"
"It's five thirty!" I said panicked.
"So?"
"So, it's five thirty and the doors still haven't closed!"
"But they were supposed to close thirty minutes ago!" Newt said as he began to limp out the door. I followed quickly after him, to find that some of the gladers, including Alby had gathered around the, still open doors.
"What the hell are we going to do if they don't close?" Alby whispered to Newt.
"No bloody clue."
Soon after, we were joined by Gally, Minho, Thomas and Teresa.
"What's going on?" Thomas questioned.
"The doors still haven't closed," I answered.
The whole glade stood there in silence, staring at the open doors, terrified about what might happen next. Until a loud shriek pierced the the silence.
"Shit grievers! Everybody hide!" Alby screamed.
I took off along with Gally, Minho, Thomas, Teresa and Newt towards the homestead. We quickly rushed inside and barricaded the door. We all huddled into a corner, and stayed silent. They were definitely in the glade. They were destroying things in their path. We could hear the other gladers screaming as they ran. I even heard a few scuttle by the homstead at one point. We stayed there hoping that they wouldn't find us.

After what felt like hours later, everything was quiet. Newt risked it and got up to peek outside. He made it to the door and opened it slightly. He gave us the all clear. I sighed a breath of relief and got up. We all walked out of the homestead and saw the rest of the gladers crowded around eachother in the center of the glade.
"Is anybody hurt hurt?" Alby called to the group as we neared.
"We're all fine. But they took Zart," Winston replied, looking at the ground.
Alby sighed. He then went over to Minho and whispered something in hi ear. "Are you sure," Minho said. Alby nodded. "Okay. Everbody listen up! Due to the fact that there may be another attack tonight, Alby has decided that we should put Me and Thomas's plan into action. We are escaping the maze tonight!"
There were cheers of joy from some gladers, others did not seem so keen.
"We will spend all day preparing, then we'll leave at dusk!"
"And for the people who don't want to leave," called out a random glader.
"Well enjoy your night with the grievers," replied Minho.

The whole day was spent preparing. Gladers collecting and making weapons. I spent the day packing food for the gladers with Frypan. We had no idea what might be outside the maze. As dusk neared, all the gladers who were leaving gathered around the doors. Everyone took one last look at the glade and the people we were leaving behind before Minho spoke.
"Uh, okay. Be careful. Don't die."
"Great! We're all bloody inspired!"
Alby was having a quick discussion with Minho and Thomas before we left. I touched Gally's arm.
"I'm not ready to do this."
He knelt down infront of me and put his hands on my shoulders.
"You know what none of us are. But we're all going to do this together. It'll be me and you against the world. Me and you okay."
"Me and you," I replied.
Gally stood back up as Alby faced the crowd.
"Who's ready to get the hell out of here!"
A bunch of 'yeahs' echoed out. Then we were off.