Chapter fourteen

Scarlett's POV:
We were walking for hours after we left Winston behind. My feet were tired, but we kept trudging on. Eventually we started noticing the sky grow darker. But not because of the night. But because of clouds. We all looked up hopeful that it might rain. Until I heard a crackle. I looked behind me, and not even 500 feet behind us, a bolt of lighting struck down. There was no rain in these storm clouds. Only electricity. I felt the hair on my arms and neck stand up. We had to go fast. We all started sprinting away from the lighting which grew closer and closer.
"Look! There's a building!" I heard Thomas yell.
We ran as fast as we could towards the doors. The lighting was all around us. I heard screams of what I was guessing was someone getting hit. Then I felt the jolt. The electricity coursed through my body, knocking me back. I laid there helpless hoping someone would notice. Then I felt two arms pick me up start running. I finally felt us cross the threshold of the building, and the doors were slammed shut. I got laid down on the floor. I felt someone looking at me. It was Newt.
"What are you looking at?"
"You're alive!"
"No shit sherlock."
I sat up against a wall and looked over and saw people crowded around someone else. It was too dark to see who it was though.
"Who else got hit?"
"Minho. But he's okay."
"Karma," I snickered.
"How many did we lose?"
"Jeff and Clint," Newt sighed.
All of a sudden a bunch of lights came on. People jumped from the ceiling and grabbed all of us.

The ceiling. That's where I was hanging from at this moment. The people who grabbed us, brought us here, and hung me by my feet to the ceiling. Along with everybody else.
"Hey Thomas! How's it hanging?" I heard Minho say.
"If I were close enough to you right now, I'd punch you," Thomas replied.
We hung there for a few more minutes before a man came in.
"So, were you people trying to break into my building?"
"No," Thomas replied, " We were just seeking shelter from the lighting storm. Two of our people got hit."
"Stil I don't like outsiders. And you know what we do with outsiders.."
He pulled a lever, and we all dropped down a bit. I gasped. I then heard a girl march in.
"For godsakes Jorge, let them down! They have a little girl with them!"
I hated being referred to as a little girl, but if it got me down, then hey, be my guest to call me whatever you want.
"Come on Brenda, I'm having a little fun," he smirked.
"Jorge," Brenda said in a menacing tone.
Jorge came over and got us all down. Once we were back on our feet Thomas started asking a bunch of questions. Not a surprise.
"Where are we and who are you?"
"I'm Brenda and this is Jorge. This is our home. Alot of Cranks come here before they even start showing symptoms. It's a safe place until you are sent out in the Scorch to die. Walk with me."
We started following the pair. I stayed close to Newt's side, seeing the shape some of the people there, were in.
We followed Brenda and Jorge up a set of stairs, into what appeared to be a makeshift study.
"So what exactly is your business here?" Jorge asked.
"As I said, we were taking shelter from the lightning."
"Are you people from W.I.C.K.E.D?"
"Workers? No. Test subjects. Yes. We escaped a few days ago," I replied.
"Oh W.I.C.K.E.D. Still taking kids for the "greater good". God they make me angry."
"So what are you going to do with us now?"
"Well if you're all subjects of W.I.C.K.E.D, you might all be immune. That would be very helpful in my little excursion."
"Which is?" Newt asked skeptically.
"The Right Arm. They're an orginization of people up in the mountains who are fighting against W.I.C.K.E.D. They're trying to stop they're evil doings. And Brenda and I have been planning to go find them."
"And what does that have to do with us?" Thomas asked.
"I have a feeling W.I.C.K.E.D test subjects might come in handy up there. Secret intell that you would only know if you were inside the walls of W.I.C.K.E.D. And they can probably provide protection for all of us. So what do you say hermano?"
We all looked at eachother, and were all thinking the same thing.
"We're in," Thomas said.
"Fantastic! We leave in the morning. Brenda will show you where you can sleep for tonight."
As we followed Brenda out of the room, I thought about how crazy what we're doing, is. But crazy has been our whole lives, so bring on the crazy.