Chapter twenty

A/N: I would like to mention beforehand that this will include mentions of suicide, and will have some Death Cure spoilers. So if either of those things aren't something you would want to read about, I recommend skipping this chapter.

Scarlett's POV:
"This is disgusting," Newt muttered as he jumped down into the tunnel, behind us. Gally hit something on the wall, and the tunnel lit up. We started walking.
"You still never said why you didn't try to look for us," I whispered to Gally.
"I knew the people who took you, were W.I.C.K.E.D workers all along. So at first I assumed the worst. That's what kept me from looking for you. I told myself I'd rather be in the dark, than hear that you and everyone else were dead. But I then heard a rumor of kids escaping W.I.C.K.E.D. I hoped it was you and started planning where I would start to try and find you. I met some people from the Right Arm. I thought maybe there. But then they were attacked and I started getting called for missions around the Scorch. I hoped I'd see you. Then I found you."
I looked up at him, and just sighed. I wasn't to sure what to say, so I waited for him to say something else.
"So what's changed since I saw you last?"
"You mean besides the fact that we escaped W.I.C.K.E.D, found Harriet, Shay and Sonya again, I got struck by lightning, killed some Cranks, got hung by a ceiling by my ankles, got ambushed by W.I.C.K.E.D, betrayed by Teresa, jumped a train, stole a berg, snuck out in the middle of the night to go get Minho back, almost died in a tunnel full of Cranks, and got kidnapped by you, no not much has happened," I explained, rolling my eyes.
"You stole a ber- You got struck by lightning!" He said, still trying to process everything I said.
"Yeah so did Minho. I laughed."
"Why would you laugh?"
"Because for a really long time, and still probably a bit now, she hated Minho with every bone in her body," Newt spoke up behind us.
"And why is that?"
"You mean beside the fact he "killed" you?" I questioned, staring at him.
"Okay, fair point."
The rest of the walk was in silence, until we found the exit.
We climbed out of the tunnel, and saw the inside of the city. There were giant buildings, people, some wearing masks, walking around, police cars patrolling streets. It was nothing like I'd ever seen before.
"Follow me," Gally said.
We had to sneak around, to avoid the police cars, who would have turned us in, if we got caught. Eventually we had made it to the outskirts of the city, and were now running along the wall. We reached a balcony, and Gally set up a telescope.
"That's the where we to get into, right there," he said, pointing to a building at the center if the city.
"How?" Thomas questioned.
"Take a look for yourself."
Thomas looked in the telescope. He pulled back a moment later, surprised.
"Teresa?" he whispered, hesitantly.
"I said I had a way. I never said you were going to like it."

Back at Lawrence's place, we all stood around a table figuring out the game plan. I had zoned out for a while, thinking about everything that's happened in the past few hours. Then I heard Teresa's name mentioned.
"You just dont want your little girlfriend to get hurt?" Newt said, in a slightly menacing tone
"Newt I-" Thomas began to say, but was cut off.
"No! This has never been entirely about saving Minho has it?" Newt said walking towards Thomas.
"That's not tr-"
"DON'T LIE TO ME! Don't. Lie. To. Me."
Newt yelled slamming Thomas against a wall.
I heard Brenda gasp slightly, and I stood frozen staring at the pair.
"I..I'm sorry," Newt said stuttering as he walked out. Thomas followed quickly behind him.
We all stood there for another moment, before Shay whispered in my ear.
"What do you think is wrong with him?"
It took a moment before it registered in my brain.
"Flare," I quickly muttered, before running out of the room.
I went up to the roof where I guessed the boys were. I stood in the doorway, watching them talk, as I hid in the shadows. I stood there listening, until Newt said something that knocked all the wind from my chest.
"Did I ever tell you how I got my limp Tommy? I tried to kill myself. I went out into the Maze one morning, climbed the ivy as high as it would go, and jumped. Minho was the one who found me. So if there's any chance we can save him, we have to take it."
I silently crept down the stairs and sat at the bottom trying to regain a breath. Newt never talked about what happened. I never talked about what happened. I thought back to the days after.

A few years back, in the glade:
"Scarlett talk to me," Gally pleaded.
I layed with my back to him. Not wanting to speak. Or eat. Or be alive.
"Scarlett why did you do it?"
I did it because I couldn't handle the nightmares. I couldn't handle the memory of that night in the maze. So I jumped. Off the walls. Just like Newt had, soon after we had arrived.
"Scarlett let me understand why? Please just talk to me! I need you to talk to me," Gally said, in a desperate tone. But I didn't want to talk, I wanted to be dead. So I layed there with my back to him, until he eventually left. I didn't understand why it didn't work. Why couldn't I just die?

I was snapped back to reality by Gally sitting next to me.
"Is Newt okay?"
"I don't know."
"And, a penny for your thoughts."
"He told Thomas. About what happened. Why he has his limp."
Gally looked at me understandingly.
"Are you okay?"
"I still wonder to this day, why it didn't work. Why when I wanted to, the universe just wouldn't let me die," I said as tears began to pool in my eyes.
Gally pulled me into a hug. We sat there in silence for a while, not wanting to move. I had him back. But right now, we needed to get Minho back.