Chapter two

Scarlett's POV:
I woke up to Gally banging loudly on my door.
"Wake up shank! You're showing Thomas the builders work today!"
I forgot the greenie had remembered his name. I rolled myself out of bed and got dressed. I walked out of my hut to get breakfast.
After breakfast, I headed over to where the other builders were. I had to wait until the Thomas was done with the gardeners, then I would have to show him the ropes of building.
I grabbed my things and started working.

About half way through I look over to see Newt and Thomas are almost done. Newt looks kind of annoyed with Thomas. Thomas looks like he hasn't stopped asking questions.
"The shank hasn't stopped talking Newt's ear off," I laughed. Gally looked over.
"Yeah he has been asking a bunch of questions since he got here. I know the greenies usually have questions and all that, but this one's ridiculous." I laughed again.
"Oh great, here he comes."
"Goodluck."
"Morning greenie."
"My names Thomas."
"Still gonna call you greenie."
I showed Thomas around the builders work area. Where he could find thinks, and how to work the different tools.
"And that's everything. Do you have any questions?"
"Yeah, nobody has answered this one yet, no matter how many times I ask."
"Okay, what is it?"
"What's out there?"
I followed where he was pointing although I already knew what he was asking about. The maze.
"You never go out there greenie. You hear me. Never." I said sternly.
"But what's out there?"
"Terrible things," I said almost in a whisper.
"If that's true, then why do the runners go out there each day?"
"Because they're the really brave ones, trying to get us out. And they're always back before the doors close."
"I think I want to be a runner."
"No you don't," I said without hesitation, "nobody does."
"But I-" "No Thomas. End of discussion. "
"Fine."
"Come on, let's go get lunch."
I took one last look at the maze before walking away with Thomas. I thought to myself why the hell anyone would ever want to go out there voluntarily.

The sun began to set when Minho ran through the doors. He didn't run straight to the mapping room, like usual, but he went over to Alby. He muttered a few words to him, and Alby nodded. Then he ran off. I didn't think anything of it and headed to dinner.
Minho came and sat down twenty minutes later. I leaned over and whispered to him.
"What were you talking to Alby about earlier?"
He finnished what was in his mouth and whispered back, as if not to alarm the other gladers.
"Found a dead griever in the maze. Me and Alby are going to check it out tomorrow."
"You're kidding!"
"Not in the slightest."
"What would one even be doing, dead, in the broad daylight?"
"No clue. That's why we're going to look tomorrow."
Minho turned back to his food, and I kept replaying scenarios about why a dead griever would be in the middle of the maze. But I kept coming to a dead end. I didn't think anymore of it for that day. But for tomorrow we in for one hell of a ride.