Separated

It had been almost an entire year since Severus moved into the Manor. Lucius was finally able to cut back traveling to Japan. Draco had everything running like a well oiled machine. He too would soon be returning home. Hermione missed seeing Draco, he was as dear to her as Lucius and Severus only in a brotherly way. It was fitting that they should all be home. Severus had made great strides in anti-venom potions and the Ministry was requesting that he return to Romania once again. He had no desire to leave Hermione or Lucius for that matter. He was finally happy and though he had done things in his past that he wasn't always proud of, with the help of Hermione he realized that punishing himself was not serving him well. He was more productive with his little witch by his side. They spent their days brewing together and their evenings with Lucius.

It was a Monday afternoon and Hermione and Severus had just finished lunch. Lucius was tied up in meetings all afternoon and they would see him later that evening for dinner. An owl arrived at the Manor with a scroll for Severus. It was from Dolores Umbridge.

"What does that old toad want?" Severus scowled.

"What does it say?" Hermione looked at him wide eyed.

"She's requesting and audience with you and I this afternoon. Before Lucius returns. It says not to refuse her or things would become unpleasant." Snape gave a low growl. "How has no one offed that vile little powder puff."

"What on earth could she possible want." Hermione looked annoyed.

"Whatever it is you can be sure she'll do whatever she can to get what she wants. Horrid woman."

Umbridge arrived at 3:30 on the dot. She was shown into the study where Severus and Hermione were waiting.

"Oh! Aren't we cozy." Umbridge scoffed. "Our dear little Granger shacked up with two death eaters. Mummy and Daddy wouldn't like that dear."

"What do you want Dolores?" Snape said in a low tone.

"Aren't you going to offer me a seat? Someone in your position really can't afford to have enemy's." Umbridge's voice was as loathsome as her presence.

"Madam Umbridge, won't you please have a seat?" Hermione said in an almost sarcastic tone.

Umbridge curled her lip and gave a fake smile. "I will get right to the point." Umbridge directed her gaze at Hermione. "It seems your dear...let's see what's the right word for it. Boyfriend? No - " Umbridge pretended to be searching for the right word. "He's much to old to be your boyfriend, your lover? Hmmm is that right dear your lover? Oh I'm sorry, maybe the professor is your lover? You were always mooning over Professor Snape during your school days if I recall." Hermione's blood was starting to boil.

"That's enough Dolores. What do you want?" Snape snapped.

"Mr. Malfoy will be charged with using the Cruciatus Curse on Gilderoy Lockhart." Umbridge smirked.

"That's ridiculous!" Snape barked. Hermione could feel her heart in her throat.

"What proof do you have?" Snape questioned.

"More than enough and an eye witness that saw him drop Gilderoy at St. Mungos." She gloated.

"You have no proof. And if you don't leave this instant I'll hex you from here to east India! GET OUT!" Snape yelled furiously.

"Well! Tell your Mr. Malfoy that if he doesn't comply with my request and turn himself in by five o'clock Friday I will be taking action." She said in a threatening little persnickety voice. "If he wishes to avoid a second trip to Azkaban maybe we can come to an arrangement."