Chapter 2

"Mommy! Time to get up! " Rory said while shaking his mother in an attempt to wake her.

Neveah was awake but still in some stages of sleep. Since Rory thought his first efforts didn't work he got on his mother's bed and started jumping up and down. Neveah had no other choice but to wake up now.

Neveah sat up in bed and looked up at her son still jumping on her bed. She pulled his leg so he would fall on top of her and started tickling him. "Now why'd you have to wake mommy up at " Neveah stopped her question to look over at the clock that read eight o'clock am, "eight o'clock in the morning baby?" Neveah asked her son, looking at him while waiting for his answer.

"Cause mommy you still have to help me get ready for daddy's house" Rory said to his mother in a duh tone of voice.

"Ok, come on," Neveah said.

As they were packing Rory's bag for the weekend she was asking him about school and watching the news waiting for the weather forecast for the weekend.

She saw breaking news flash across the small television screen and saw what looked like a nearby building on fire.

"Rory baby, turn that up for mommy please." Neveah said almost breathless. Thinking it couldn't be what she thought.

"This is Carl Green for Channel 4 news here at the scene of the devastating fire of Aunt Flo's Diner and what a horrible scene it is."

The anchor on the news confirmed Neveah's worst fears , her job was no more. The only question was what to do now?

Neveah was so stunned, she didn't know what she was going to do. But as always her first move was to call her girl Naomi. Every since school they had always kept in touch with each other even when Naomi went off to school. In school when Neveah found out she was pregnant all her "friends" had stop talking to her and Naomi was the only one except her mother who stayed by her side.

After a few rings Naomi answered the phone as usual with much exaggeration "Yellow not blue but what can I do for you boo?" Naomi was a 5'5 "mutt". She was mixed with Black ,Dominican and Cuban. She was all assets, she had hips and ass for days, with long flowing black hair, she had a tough as nails personality she wasn’t even scared of anybody.

Neveah was so stressed she couldn’t even laugh like she usually did. Naomi knew her best friend so well that she could tell something wasn’t right. “Are you okay? Oh God, is my nephew okay? What’s wrong?” Naomi asked.

To prevent her from freaking out Neveah quickly shut her up, “ Nay, I'm okay and your nephew is definitely okay. I just need to talk.”

Naomi let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding. She didn’t know what she would have done if something happened to her best friend and nephew. Neveah was like a sister to Naomi even though they weren’t blood related.

"Then what's so important?"

"Aunt Flo's Diner burnt down this morning...and I just don't know what I'm going to do with that being my only source of income" Neveah said taking an audible pause.

"Wow chica, well you know I got your back no matter what you do," Naomi said with all honesty.

"I know I just need some time to come up with a game plan" Neveah said while running her hands down her face.

"Well while you’re thinking, did you want to go out to eat?” Naomi suggested. “And plus two heads are better than one,"  

Neveah knew she barely had food on the table and her girl Naomi would be willing to pay for their food if she was to go out with her, but she turned her down.