Chapter 20

Phillip placed an ice pack on the back of Neveah’s head, gave her a glass of water, and kissed her forehead. She sat on the floor, unable to move. Not because she couldn’t but because she just didn’t know what to do.

She woke up moments after the attack with Phillip standing over here. His voice telling her to wake up and that she was ok, but all she wanted to know was of her son was ok. What kind of mother was she? She couldn't even protect her own son from harm and danger. Rory was of course frighten. She wanted to see her baby.

"Can you describe the men," the male officer said.

"It was her child's father!" Phillip hissed.

Phillip didn't want Neveah to hear him accuse Dawayne but she did.  She didn't want to believe that he broken into Phillip's home, trashed it and attacked them. She was the mother of his son! He couldn't! Dawayne was a dead beat father, not a criminal. But if he did and it was his way of getting back at her then it was working.

"Sir, did you see the man who attacked you," the short and stubby officer asked him.

Phillip wasn’t in a good place right now. He wanted blood and the number one person that he wanted it from was Dawayne. Phillip was highly pissed off and wanted nothing more than to kick his ass, but knew that he had to let the police do their job. That still didn’t change the fact that he wanted to kick his ass and kick his teeth in. To Phillip, Dawayne was a bitch and nothing less. What kind a man would attack from the back and have a friend help too.

He didn't give a damn about the jewelry being gone, busted windows in the living room, or all the electronics stolen from the den. Knowing that Neveah was hurt and that Rory watched his mother be hurt by his father weaken his stomach. No child should ever witness such a thing. Here, the officer continued to tell Phillip that there was nothing he could do but would be in contact with them but he watched as Neveah sat the glass down on the hardwood floor and slowly got up.

He knew she was in pain so he decided to cut the officer from talking along with his partner and escorted them out of the house.  When he closed the door, Phillip could feel a headache coming on. He couldn’t even protect Neveah or Rory. What if something worse could have happened to them? It broke his heart for them to go through something like this.

It seems like sudden hurdles continued to block their way of growing and building a steady foundation for his family. Neveah and Rory was his family and Phillip was going to marry her. Nothing was going to stop him from putting a ring on her finger.

Phillip looked around the living room, foyer area, and shook his head. It looked like a tornado went through the house. Broken glass scattered on the pearl marble floors. His expensive vases from  Thailand were now destroy, picture frames that was hung effortlessly on the walls were broken.

A couple of windows were boarded up with old wood that he found in the basement. As he wandered into the kitchen, he saw everything turned upside down. He had enough and exited.

Since he knew Neveah and Rory were tired, he didn’t want to pack up a couple of things and drag them to a hotel in the middle of the night. It was dangerous to stay in the house, but they would be right with him and not out of his eye sight. Walking up the stairs, he went to Rory’s room and found it empty. They were probably in the master bedroom. It was good because Phillip would have carried them to his room anyways. 

When he finally got to his room, the door was halfway open. He saw Rory sleeping in the middle of the California king size bed. The burgundy comforter followed him as he tossed and turn, probably due to an awful nightmare of tonights events. The bright light shined brightly underneath the door from the walk in closet. Phillip put his ear against the cold dark brown door and listened for Neveah. Like he thought she was in there. He heard her almost silent cries along with shuffling.