6- You stink

Natalie's P.O.V.

I woke up early, today I was heading to the harbor to help Henry; a fisherman and his crew, clean and package fish before he sold them. I can't say it's a very fun job, the smell is enough to make you want to vomit but it's cash and it helps pay for food and my boss is really funny.

"Hey Annie, just in time. We had a ton of fish come in this morning. Hey there Cody, I got you something." Henry said, handing him a bone.

Cody took the bone and went and sat down in his normal spot by the door. I put my hair up, then put my apron and gloves on before I started with the fish.

I was minding my own business, listening to the guys talk and tell jokes when Henry got excited.

"Dylan, my boy! How the hell are you? Did you come to help?"

I looked up, it was the man that got out of the squad the other day when I talked with officer Lopez.

I looked down, continuing to work, while eavesdropping in on their conversation.

This Dylan guy started laughing, "I did. I felt kind of bad that I took all of yours and Lopez's money last weekend, thought I should repay you and help get these fish cleaned up, plus Lopez told me you would be understaffed today, I had nothing going on so here I am."

"You're a shit! Rubbing it in that you took all of us old folks' money, but you're a good kid. I really appreciate the extra hands today."

Dylan started laughing again as he looked in my direction, giving me a smirk.

I rolled my eyes, looking away.

"That's Annie Wright, she helps me when I bring the fish in."

"Yeah, we kind of met the other day when Lopez brought me home after my bike broke down."

I hated how they were talking about me like I couldn't even hear them.

"Maybe you can help her out?" Henry hinted as I saw him nudge this Dylan guy in the side.

"I can handle these fish by myself. I don't need anyone's help!" I shot back, lifting the large and heavy tub on the conveyor belt.

Dylan chuckled.

"Okay, well don't piss her off because she's my best worker." Henry warned him, walking away.

Dylan walked up to me, "So, what can I do boss?"

"Leave, I've got this!"

"Feisty! Geez, Red!"

I stopped and looked at him, "Listen, I don't mean to be rude... but I like working alone, I like the quietness and listening to these old men telling their really terrible jokes. So please find a different spot to work."

"Okay, here's the deal... Henry told me to come help you. So since you like the quiet, I promise you I won't say a single word. Deal?"

Letting out a deep breath, "Deal, but if you break your promise I'll sick my dog on you."

He lifted his fingers to his lips, pretending to zip his lips and threw away the key.

I was holding back my smirk. Shaking my head, I looked down and continued my work.

We worked in silence for a while. He started laughing and leaned in closer to me, "You were right, the jokes they're telling are terrible!"

I bust out laughing, "Oh my God, some of them don't even make sense."

He started laughing again, "So, what's your story, Red?"

I groaned, "I thought I asked you not to talk? I don't have a story. Just drop it."