8- The none date

Natalie's P.O.V.

I just got back into town and saw the diner up ahead. I stood there for a moment, contemplating if I should just turn the other direction and head home for the day. I knew if I did go home he would only bring it up again, so I might as well just get it over with. Fuck!

I got to the diner and there he was, sitting by the window like I requested. "Maybe he does listen sometimes." I whispered under my breath as he waved to me.

I looked down at Cody, "Stay!" I commanded. He sat down watching me as I went into the diner.

An older lady greeted me. "I'm with that man over there by the window."

"He ordered you a coffee, would you like anything else right away?"

"No, that's perfect. Thank you."

I walked over to him and sat down.

"Hi, you have a very well behaved dog."

I smiled looking out at Cody. "He's an amazing dog, I'm very grateful he stumbled into my life."

"How long have you had him?"

"About five months. When I was traveling up here, I was pumping gas when he jumped into my car. He was dirty and looked scared, so I brought him with me."

"He's lucky to have you. I can tell how much that dog loves you."

I smiled at his words. The waitress brought over my coffee and took our order.

"How old is he?" He questioned.

"When I got here, I took him to the vet. She was guessing about six to seven months. So around one years old."

We made very light conversation about random things, mostly about this town before the waitress brought us our food.

We ate in silence, this was so incredibly awkward. I didn't want to ask him the few questions I was curious about because I knew if I did, his questions would start.

"Sooo, What do you think about this weather?" He asked with his sexy smirk.

I started laughing, "Are you seriously asking me about the weather?"

"I was told no personal questions. I don't want you bolting on me."

"Good boy! The weather is beautiful, but it's supposed to rain so I'm trying to get Cody his exercise today."

We sat there a few more minutes, "So what is it that you do, Dylan."

"Well I went into the Navy right out of high school when I got home I started working in my Dad's repair shop."

"Oh. My Dad was a Navy seal, he died on a mission when I was eight."

"Oh, what about your mom?"

"She died just about six years ago from Breast cancer."

"I'm sorry." He said, reaching over and grabbing a hold of my hand.

I had a warm feeling pass throughout my body before pulling away. "It's fine." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Are you staying in La Connors, Annie?"

"No, just for a little bit anyways. I have to go back home."

"California, I think that's what I remember hearing when you talked to Officer Lopez?"

"Yeah." I hated lying to people, especially innocent people that are just being nice to me. "See you have me answering questions Mr."

"I'm sorry, you just intrigue me. I'm not asking the one I'm dying to know though."

"I'm going to regret asking but what is it that you want to know?"

"Do you have a man back home?"

"No!"

He smiled. "Good. So then why are you leaving?"

"My job, I was fortunate to have some time off so I took it."

"What do you do?"

"I own a bakery." I'm not totally lying, that's my dream someday to open up a bakery after I get Zoe back. Mom and I saved for years, we had plans to open one together but she got sick so it never happened because we used our down payment to help with her medical bills.

"A bakery? Yum. I bet your stuff tastes amazing." His eyes widened, embarrassed at how that came out. "Annie, I didn't mean… I meant the food at the bakery."

I chuckled, trying to hold back my smirk. He really was cute, especially when he was flustered. We spent the rest of our meal in silence.

This was actually nice, our time went by incredibly fast and I realized as I finished my meal how much I actually enjoyed this guy's company, even the awkward silent parts. I've been alone for so long, or it feels like that anyways that I forgot what it was like to have a good person in my life. The people I interacted with at the strip clubs made me feel dirty and cheap, where Dylan made me feel normal again.

The waiter brought our bill and Dylan paid. Walking back out to Cody I handed him the carrot I saved from my lunch.

"This was nice, Annie. When you're not scolding me, you're kind of nice."

I started laughing, "I swear to you, I don't mean to be rude. I just don't want to get attached to anyone here and I don't need to make any more bad decisions in my life. I've had a few pretty shitty years and I have to go back home soon, so I thought this was the easiest way to distance myself."

"Well that's dumb. So as another 'none date' of course, since we both didn't catch any fish today how would you like to go fly fishing with me tonight?"

"Ummm, I don't think so. Plus I've never been fly fishing before and-"

"Great, I'll pick you up around five." He started walking away.

"Dylan, we had a great lunch and there you go interrupting me again. Also, I said no!"

He turned back around with a smile, "You said I don't think so, which is secret for yes, sounds like fun."

"I think you're wrong you crazy man!"

"I'll see you at five, Red."

"You're impossible, you know that?"

His smile grew, "So I've been told." With that he winked and headed in the opposite direction of me.

"Oh my God, I never should have even gone to lunch with that man." I mumbled under my breath as I headed for home.