20- The cabin

Dylan's P.O.V.

Justin and I took turns driving, the closer we got to Montana the heavier the rain got. Justin and I went on a hunting trip a while back and rented a small cabin in the woods there in Montana. When I called the owner he said it was available, so I took it. It's small but secluded and the perfect spot to hideout for the time being.

Natalie will hardly look at me. When she turns and catches me looking at her, she rolls her eyes and looks away. She's slept or pretended to sleep for most of this sixteen hour drive and this silence between us was killing me. I wanted her to forgive me but maybe this was actually for the best.

Before we went to the cabin, I pulled up to a grocery store in town to get a few things. I noticed Natalie had put one of my baseball caps on that I had sitting in the backseat.

"Justin, can you get me a prepaid phone please."

"No? You can't make any calls Natalie." Justin argued.

"I promise I won't, I want one just in case something happens. If you don't get me one, I will make this whole entire thing an absolute fucking nightmare for the both of you. I know what I'm doing."

Justin and I looked at each other.

"Please." Her voice sounded broken.

I nodded my head at Justin. He got out of the car and walked in.

Natalie kept her head down, I needed to talk to her. I don't know what it was about her but I wanted her to know I never meant to hurt her.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine." She snapped back.

I turned around so I could see her better. "I never meant to hurt you."

"You didn't, don't worry."

I let out a breath, "Can I tell you how I got wrapped up in all of this?"

"You know what Dylan, it honestly doesn't even matter."

"Well, it matters to me because this is killing me. I'm not supposed to have these fucking feeling for you but I can't seem to get you out of my head." I looked down. "The night you ran from John, a guy I had looked up to for so many years was shot and killed. Captain Grey put me on this case to get to you before John did."

I started laughing, looking back into her beautiful green eyes. "You didn't make it easy, Red. I went deep undercover as a guy named Cyrus, John hired me to find you. Being on his payroll got me intel faster than when I was out on my own. Then that other idiot ruined it that night he attacked you at your apartment in New Mexico."

"You were there?"

"I followed you from the club, I was going to take you back to New York with me but he got to you first. I was about to help you but clearly you didn't need my help." I said laughing.

"I never would have let you take me back to New York. Why wouldn't you leave me alone in Washington, why didn't you try bringing me in from the start?"

"Cap wanted me to become close to you, gain your trust so you didn't try running again and so you would help us. We know how it is to talk to cops, we deal with that on a daily basis. This bust is going to be huge Natalie-"

Her eyes glared at me as she nodded, "So I was just a bust to you? Someone to help take down the big bad John Ruzek. Screw you, Dylan."

"No, you're so much more than that Natalie-"

I didn't have time to finish the conversation, Justin opened the back door and put the bags down in the back.

Justin got in and I took off towards the cabin. Natalie was looking out the window again not saying a word. Justin gave me a questioning look, I just shook my head and looked forward again.

******
Pulling into the cabin it was still raining hard.

"I hate rain." Natalie groaned, grabbing some of the bags in the back. "Come on, Cody."

She got out and ran to the door. Justin and I grabbed the rest of the grocery bags before going in.

I could see Natalie was shivering, I went over to the fireplace and turned it on. She went over and sat down next to the fireplace with Cody by her side.

Justin and I went back out and finished bringing in our bags from the trunk. We locked the door and shut all the curtains.

"The only door in this place is to the bathroom or the one going outside?" Natalie asked, looking around.

"Yes, it will be fine. Hopefully it's only for a few days.

"There's only one bed?"

"You can have the bed, Justin and I will sleep on the futon couch."

I could tell she didn't want to be here but she didn't say anything. She got up and started taking the items out of the bags, Justin looked nervous as he started unpacking too.

"Condoms?" She held up the box, raising an eyebrow at Justin.

"I'm sorry, but the sexual tension between the two of you is strong. That car ride was horrible and I can't even imagine what being in this cabin will be like."

"Oh my God." She said in disgust as she threw the box down on the table.

She finally smiled a little when she got to the prepaid phone. "Thank you!"

"You aren't allowed to make a call unless we know about it. Why do you need that anyways?" I asked.

She put the phone in her pocket, "That's none of your business and I won't-"

"It is our business because our lives are on the line here too."

"Stop interrupting me! You're so annoying."

"I'm sorry, continue."

"I have nothing else to say to you. I'm going to shower."

I threw my hands up in the air and went into my suitcase. Pulling out a sweatshirt, t-shirt and sweatpants for her.

"Here, until we get you some clothes." I said, handing them to her.

She grabbed my clothes and the shampoo from the bags Justin picked up and headed into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

I snapped my head at Justin, "Condoms? Really?"

"She wasn't supposed to see those. I got them to tease you, plus I'm almost positive you will be thanking me as soon as you both have some privacy."

"What are you talking about?"

"If I wasn't here, I'd give it a day max before you guys go at it like rabbits."

"You're an idiot!"

"I may be an idiot but you can't lie to me. You want her D-"

"It doesn't matter what I want, she hates me and we have a job to do." I whispered.

"She's right, you're annoying when you interrupt us."

I rolled my eyes. Fifteen minutes later she came out of the bathroom, wearing my clothes. God, she was beautiful. I caught myself staring so I quickly looked away to notice Justin shaking his head and smiling at me.

I flipped him off turning back towards Natalie.

"Justin or I will go into town and grab a few outfits for you in the next day or so."

"Whatever." She said, climbing into bed.

"Come on, Cody." She patted the spot next to her. He jumped up on the bed, cuddling into her. She kissed his head, "I'm glad you're here, big guy. They wouldn't let me come get you but I would have come back for you when all this is finally over. I love you." She whispered before falling asleep.