Chapter 25

Melendez sped to the hospital as fast as he could without breaking the speed limit, while Lim coughed and struggled to breathe the entire ride. In all honesty, he probably did break the speed limit. He parked in his usual spot in employee parking, which was thankfully by the emergency room. Melendez pulled Nurse Fryday aside and asked, "Nurse Fryday, who's on call tonight?"

"Dr. Cleland, Neil. Dr. Browne and Dr. Murphy are the residents on call. What's the emergency?"

"Audrey...Dr. Lim..." stuttered Melendez, barely being able to form words.

"I'm having trouble breathing and my emergency inhaler isn't working," Lim muttered anxiously.

"Oh dear, " said Nurse Fryday, ushering Lim over to one of the triage rooms, "Dr. Browne, Dr. Murphy, triage room 3! Stat!"

Shaun and Claire rushed over to see who their patient was, "Dr. Lim?" asked Claire in surprise.

"Chest hurts, can't breathe," she said, "Get the oxygen, and then, check my pulse ox and heart rate. Check to make sure there isn't any fluid buildup, and if it sounds like there is, do a chest x-ray and start me on IV antibiotics," she instructed, "Also, draw blood and send this to lab," Lim held up a cup with phlegm in it.

Claire nodded politely and took the cup. Only Dr. Lim would be gathering secretions to test on the car ride to the emergency room. Claire started the oxygen therapy while Shaun listened to her heartbeat and breathing, "Did you come alone, Dr. Lim?"

Lim shook her head and nodded toward Melendez, who was outside the triage rooms, pacing frantically, "Dr. Melendez, please stop your pacing. You're distracting me," said Shaun.

Melendez stopped in his tracks, "Sorry, Dr. Murphy."

Shaun could hear the bubbling sounds, so he announced, "Bubbling sounds on both sides, Dr. Lim might have pneumonia. We should do a chest x-ray to confirm."

"I just said that, Dr. Murphy," joked Lim.

"I know. I was confirming," said Shaun, oblivious to the sarcasm.

Once the x-rays were taken and some of the labs were done, Shaun went to assist Dr. Cleland on a car accident victim while Claire went to talk to Melendez about Lim's condition, "Dr. Melendez?" he turned to face his resident, "We started her on IV antibiotics and oxygen therapy. They seem to be improving her oxygen levels. We're still waiting on a few lab results. I'll consult Dr. Cleland, but from the sounds of it, they're going to keep her here overnight."

"Okay, thank you, Dr. Browne," he acknowledged before he went into the triage room.

Lim looked over upon hearing him enter and he was giving her his look, "I know, I know, I should've been taking it easy as soon as I started feeling sick a few days ago. Instead, here I am."

Melendez sat down next to her, "At least I was there to get you here."

Lim chuckled and coughed a little, "You should go back home and get some rest. You'll be more comfortable sleeping in a bed."

"No, I'm not leaving you," he shook his head.

"Just until morning, Neil," said Lim, "Then, you can back."

Claire cleared her throat and both surgeons turned to face her, "I can stay with her and monitor her if you want to go and get some more sleep. I'll call you if anything changes or if she's discharged," informed Claire.