Chapter 10

Melendez woke up and rolled over the next morning to find Lim still fast asleep, but he figured this was the most restful sleep she had had in nearly two months, so he decided to just let her be. He showered (hoping no one at work would ask him about smelling like green apple shampoo), brushed his teeth, and dressed in his scrubs from the night before, figuring he could change into dress clothes or obtain fresh scrubs from his locker when he arrived at St. Bonaventure. He quietly left the room as not to disturb Lim and was just about to leave for work when he realized he still had the key to her house. He laid it on the coffee table in the living room and turned to leave again when he heard Lim come down the stairs, "You're still here?" she asked surprisingly.

"Yes, but I was just getting ready to leave. I'll grab a coffee and a muffin at the hospital cafeteria," said Melendez.

Lim nodded, "Hey Neil, do you think it's safe for me to drive?"

Melendez sighed, "Well, depends on how far."

"Just to the supermarket," she responded, "I wanted to restock the fridge and the cabinets."

"I think you'll be fine as long as you take your time and drive your car and not your motorcycle," he informed.

"I can't drive my motorcycle anyways," said Lim.

"Why not?" asked Melendez.

"Because I got my motorcycle license suspended for a year for speeding," informed Lim unintentionally.

"What? When?" asked Melendez in shock.

"The same day I spent nine hours in jail," Lim chuckled and then stopped herself when she realized what she had said to Melendez.

"Wait a minute? You spent nine hours in jail?" Melendez asked in confusion.

Lim froze briefly before she said, "Not important in this conversation. Take things slow, don't drive my motorcycle, got it."

Melendez was just about to ask more questions about his dear friend spending time in the slammer, but decided to stop himself, "I have to get to work."

******************************************************************************

Melendez arrived at St. Bonaventure and changed in the locker room before he found Shaun and Morgan, who were to assist him with a bowel obstruction surgery. Once their patient was in the OR and anesthetized, Melendez began the surgery. It didn't take long before Shaun started asking some random questions, "Dr. Melendez, where were you last night?"

Melendez scowled a little under his mask, "I was at home just like you were, Dr. Murphy," Melendez answered. And he had technically been at home, just not his home.

"You came from the south today and you usually come from the north end of the street," stated Shaun.

"Well, there was traffic, so I had to make a detour," Melendez lied.

"No there wasn't because I also come from the north end of town. The bus did not have to make a detour," explained Shaun.

"Shaun," scolded Morgan snippily.

Melendez noticed that Morgan was doing an exceptional job with the surgery, but he also noticed she wasn't her usual persnickety and borderline rude self, "You're doing a wonderful job, Dr. Reznick," commented Melendez.

Morgan brought her attention to Melendez, "Oh, well, I recently performed a bowel obstruction surgery."

"Oh really, when?" asked Melendez.