Chapter 23

Over the next week, Lim noticed that Han still spent a significant amount of time around the ER, though the residents had switched so she was with Park and Morgan all week. Melendez still thought she was being suspicious when it came to Dr. Han's motivations. That is, until he noticed that Han also seemed to be following him, or rather Shaun, around a lot of times. Friday at lunch, Lim and Melendez went to his office and closed the door for a private conversation, though the glass panes only allowed so much privacy. He turned to Lim and said, "You might be right about Dr. Han having some...peculiar intentions," Lim raised her eyebrows and grinned proudly, "Don't get too excited there."

"How can I not? You just said I might be right about something," she grinned then returned her face to a normal demeanor, "What do you mean?"

"Just..." Melendez didn't quite know how to explain it, "He asked me a lot of questions about working with Dr. Murphy. And also asked Dr. Murphy about his work ethic."

"He did the same to me," mentioned Lim, "And asked all of our residents about working with me and Shaun. It's annoying is what it is. I've been doing this job for over ten years now and I've been an attending surgeon for five. I think I know what I'm doing. You and several other people in this hospital could back me up on that fact."

"I don't get it. It's not like you and Murphy have all that much in common. You're not the same gender or ethnicity. You're not at the same level of training in that you've completed yours but he's still doing his," Melendez explained, "I can't figure out what's up with Dr. Han."

They both heard a knock at the door and saw Shaun standing at the window. Melendez motioned him into the room, "Dr. Andrews wants to meet with me and Dr. Lim," announced Shaun.

Melendez and Lim glanced at each other, "You better go," said Melendez.

Lim nodded and followed Shaun to Andrews's office, both surgeons not speaking a word to each other on the way. When they arrived, Lim knocked on the office door before sticking her head into the room, "You wanted to me and Dr. Murphy?"

Andrews gestured them into the room and they both sat down across from him, "Granted, this isn't really my decision; well, it is, but only because Dr. Han is highly encouraging me to do so. He wants me to give you both a performance review, so I have no choice but to shadow you both around for a couple of days," informed Andrews.

"Why? My performance review was last year and the residents get their performance reviews every August with input from the attending surgeons," said Lim.

"I don't know," Andrews admitted honestly, "He said something about he has evidence regarding the quarantine and he wants to do follow-up on it."

Shaun looked like he was about ready to say something, but was hesitant. Lim nodded at him in encouragement and he said, "But we were all cleared by the CDC and you," he reminded.

"I know, Dr. Murphy, and I promise I'm not going to punish you or Dr. Lim. I'm just going to do one for Dr. Han, but I wanted you both to be aware. You are now dismissed," Shaun and Lim both left the room and Han came in a few moments later, "Well, Dr. Han, care to inform me of your supposed concerns?"

"Yes. When you hired me, I spoke with the Department of Public Health about the aftermath of the quarantine," Han began.

Andrews shrugged, "We did all we could possibly do, the CDC cleared us safe again. I don't see any cause for concern when it comes to our patients."

"Well, you should," he handed Andrews a picture of Shaun, "Dr. Shaun Murphy in the fetal position on the floor, I also found out through certain sources about Dr. Lim experiencing a panic attack in the middle of the emergency room. And to top it all off, since the Department of Public Health has access to certain online social media accounts it says that Dr. Lim and Dr. Melendez have been in a romantic relationship for several months. And based on my observations, that fact remains clear."