Tired Eyes

Summary: two strangers meet on a bus.

Louis was half asleep on the public bus, his head knocking uncomfortably against the cold window as the bus went over potholes.

Music played quietly in his ears as he drifted in and out of consciousness, his hands wrapped securely around his mobile as the strap of his bag was clutched around his elbow.

His feet were stretched out infront of him, his ankles crossed as the heater under his seat radiated a comfortable warmth.

He felt a soft pressure on the top of his foot, he cracked his eyes open to see a foot, nudging the side of his shoe.

His eyes followed the foot up a leg and to a body. The boy was in the same sort of position as Louis, but sitting on the opposite side of him.

Louis closed his eyes again, smiling softly. He pulled his foot out from underneath the other boys', and gently rested it ontop of his faded white shoe, just as he had done to Louis.

The boy opened one eye, discreetly looking down at their feet. He moved his foot back and forth slightly, watching as Louis smiled with closed eyes.

After a minute, Louis withdrew his foot so they werent touching anymore. The stranger inched his shoe back towards Louis, making the sides barely skim over one another so that Louis wouldn't be able to feel it.

Louis exhaled, making the boy look up at him. Louis' eyes were open as he surpressed a laugh. He looked up at the boy, raising his foot off the ground a few inches to lightly tap the top of his shoe.

The boy did the same action to Louis, but left his foot resting ontop. Louis untucked his leg from under his body, layering his other foot over top of the boys.

He closed his eyes again, tilting his head to the window. The boy followed his action before taking his other foot to top off their tower of shoes in the middle of the isle.

The stranger watched through squinted eyes as Louis smiled to himself, half asleep.

After a while, the bus came to a stop. Louis awoke with a start, squinting at his phone before standing up abruptly, rubbing his sleepy eyes. He waited for an opening in the isle before he disappeared in the crowds and got off the bus.

The boy retracted his long legs, tucking one knee up on the seat. As the bus started up again he looked out the window, trying to spot Louis.

The bus veered back out into traffic a moment later. The boys eyes settled on the seat infront of him. A pair or wired earbuds sat on the blue patterned fabric.

Furrowing his eyebrows, he leaned forward, picking them up. He recognized they were the ones Louis had been wearing.

Must have forgot them

The boy wrapped them up around his finger, then stuffed them carefully into his jacket pocket. He went on that bus every day to get home from school, so he figured he'd just give them back next time he saw the boy.

With a deep exhale, he closed his eyes and waited for the bus to make the turn to the next subdivision.

The boy stepped onto the bus, going up on his toes to see over the crowd of people.

"Ah!" He gasped as his eyes settled on the boy from yesterday. He was sitting in the same seat, his legs extended to rest on the opposite seat.

He pushed his way through the crowd to get onto that section before the doors closed. Squeezing between people and the wall, he finally made it to the seat.