73. Alpha Triad

RILEY

I jumped in the shower as soon as we got back to Rafe's wing. It was nice to get cleaned and to relax under the water but, even more so, to have this domestic-like moment. It felt like coming home after a long day with the pack and planning a chilled evening indoors. As the hot water trickled down my head and along my body, I thought how the simple idea of this kind of domesticity used to make me want to run a mile but with the boys, it felt natural, needed.

It was crazy how much we had been through in the short period of time we had known each other. The intensity of our bond was out of this world- or at least the human world. I did not know what our future held but I was sure I wanted it to be with my two mates.

I remembered how before I left with Lucien, Scarlett joked about me finding someone in Scotland and I completely rejected the idea. The irony of it all made me snort with laughter in the shower. Little did I know.

As the warm steam filled up my lungs, I wondered how she was doing back in London because we had not spoken since the guys and I left to rescue Natalia from her kidnappers. I was not sure if it was the right idea with all the madness of this different world, but it crossed my mind that it was perhaps good to invite her over for a visit, although I needed to first come up with a believable story to explain the shifter lifestyle.

Lost in my thoughts, I found myself out of the shower and standing in front of the wardrobe which Rafe or his staff had stocked up with a variety of clothes for me. I knew that we were just going to stay in but my gut told me that there was an occasion which I needed to make an effort for, so I picked a light blush-coloured sleeveless dress with thick straps, a daring neckline and ruffles. It was elegant and yet not pretentious- the perfect choice for the evening. I slipped it on, skipping the bra as it was not really an option for this kind of dress. Either way, I felt that I did not want to have too many layers on tonight.

Once I was done with my makeup, I tiptoed out of the room barefoot in search of my wolf mate. I had been hoping also to see Aiden but Rafe explained that he had some business to take care of with his clan and was going to join us later.

Still, I was looking forward to spending some time alone with Rafe.

The mouth-watering smell of a juicy grilled steak was what guided me to the terrace where I found Rafe barbecuing. Trust a wolf shifter to be an expert in grilling meat!

I certainly wasn't complaining because as much as I loved fine food and exotic dishes, I was just as happy with a burger or a steak. One thing was sure though- I was never going to be hungry with mates like mine.

"Stop hiding behind the curtain like a stalker, Moreau, and come join me," Rafe waved me over.

"How did you--"

"Super hearing, remember? Speaking of that, how are you adjusting to your new abilities?"

"Good, I guess. I seem to have gotten the hang of switching them on and off whenever I need them."

The barbecue sizzled when he flipped the steaks and the vegetable skewers, and the meat dripped over the fire. I was pretty much drooling as the gentle breeze on the terrace blew the aromatic fumes in my direction.

"I hope you are ready with the food because I am starving," I informed my chef, hoping that he was going to deliver but my words elicited a chuckle instead.

"Aiden did say that you have an appetite for food." Rafe grabbed a plate and filled it up with food from the grill in no time. "That alone makes you our perfect match."

He held the plate right in front of me, tormenting me with all the deliciousness that was nearly in my reach until he pulled me in for a kiss.

I found myself torn- I was dying to dig into the steak, so I needed to pull away but Rafe tasted so good and the way he moved his tongue in my mouth was turning my brain into complete mush to the point that I forgot about my hunger. Or rather, it was a different kind of hunger that was kicking in.