34. We're coming for you

RILEY

The voices coming from downstairs woke me up. The room was pitch black, so it took me a second to realise that I was at my place. I had to admit that it was the first time since I was a kid that I slept so peacefully and I wondered if it was because I was home. I looked at my phone and saw that it was time to get up because we needed to get Natalia back.

I felt someone stir next to me. My whole body stiffened and dread filled my stomach as I tried to remember whether I had accidentally let one of the boys sleep in my bed.

"Oh, Callum." I heard the sleepyhead next to me say in a seductive, drowsy voice.

Yes, that was most definitely Scarlett. Was she having dreams about him? It didn't really surprise me as she couldn't take her eyes off him last night and apparently neither could he. It was the first time that I had seen Scar focused solely on one man when there were other hot guys present in the room. In a way, I was relieved as I feared that I would have done or said something stupid if she had tried to flirt with Aiden or Rafe, my supposed mates.

This whole thing confused me so much because I knew in my head that I did not want them. I was better on my own. A lone wolf, as far as relationships were concerned. Ha, lone wolf- the irony of that. Contrary to what my head was saying though, my heart and my soul were drawn to both of them, as absurd as it sounded, especially when thinking that one of them was the cocky prick Rafe Macalister.

The voices downstairs were getting louder, so I got dressed and quietly exited the room. Luckily Scar was a heavy sleeper, meaning that I didn't have to worry about us waking her up as we got ready to leave. As I neared the living room, I realised that there were two other people in there, aside from Aiden, Rafe and Callum in there. I immediately recognised their voices though.

"James! What are you doing here?" I exclaimed with surprise at seeing the fox Alpha in my house.

I turned around to my right and I saw another familiar face. "Connor!" I said and I wrapped my arms around my brother's Beta, giving him a kiss on the cheek. It was nice to him, as we had become good friends over the past weeks. Sure, I only left Scotland the day before but it was still lovely to see him.

"Hey, trouble. Missed me?"

"Of course.  Whose messes would I have to clean up without you around?" There was always a lot of playful banter between us. Unfortunately, I seemed to have forgotten what had happened the night before because my warm greeting had both Rafe and Aiden ready to jump out of their seats, growling rather unfriendly at Connor.

"Woah. Easy there, you two. What's your problem? Not like Riley is your mate or something." 

Crap: Did he really have to say that out loud? I knew he thought that he made a joke but I couldn't look at him straight so I averted his gaze and moved away from him. Rafe and Aiden continued to glare at Connor like they were ready to fight him if he put his arms around me again. "Wait...are they your mates? THE mates?"

Everyone was now looking at me, waiting for my answer. Callum and James were both clearly surprised, while Aiden and Rafe were being ridiculous. I wouldn't have been in this awkward situation now if they had not overreacted. Was this how they were always going to be  whenever I had a guy near me?

"I...erm..." I really didn't know what to say. Connor was finding the situation hilarious though because he burst out laughing.

"Oh goddess, Lucien is in for a shock when we get back." He was grinning from ear to ear, enjoying this a bit too much. "I knew you would keep your brother on his toes," he chuckled.

"You better quit this before I kick your arse like you know I can." Gone was the playfulness in my voice as I was being dead serious. I didn't want a room full of guys to be discussing my love life - or whatever this mating business was - especially not when I was completely confused about the whole thing. "Now stop messing around and tell me what the hell the two of you are doing here;"