44. Northern Lights

RILEY

Aiden started carrying me towards the kitchen. I pressed my legs together as I felt wetness build in my core at the idea of what dessert could mean. He must have sensed it because he growled like he was struggling.

"Are you trying to kill me, Aurelie Moreau?" he turned to me with a strained voice before he chuckled. "It's not that kind of dessert though."

When we finally made it to the kitchen, he placed me on top of the island in the middle of the room and I couldn't help but notice how he tried to readjust his chinos, his bulge clearly visible.

I looked away and that was when I noticed the chocolate fondue that was set up on the island. My eyes widened at what was in front of me. Inside the pot on top of the burner was a molten dark chocolate mixture and on the side of it, I could see a selection of strawberries, bananas, marshmallows and small chunks of waffle.

"Oh my, you really know how to treat a girl. I'll be here every day if I will always get this kind of treatment," I exclaimed with excitement.

My enthusiasm was clearly amusing to him as he let out a sincere laugh. "Here- let me do the honours." He grabbed a strawberry with the fondue fork and dipped it in the chocolate before he brought it over to my lips for me to try.

"Mmmmmmm, strawberries and dark chocolate- it's the best combination in the world."

"If you keep on moaning like this with the dark chocolate, I might have to find another use for it," he teased me, making me punch him playfully in the arm. " Ouch, my lady, you pack one hell of a punch. My feelings are hurt now so I won't give you the gift I had in mind then."

Aiden feigned a sad face while I couldn't believe that he had gotten me a gift on top of the relaxed and super fun date that he had put together.

"What are you talking about?"

I saw him pull out a bright red velvet square box, which he then handed over to me. When I opened it I was stunned- inside it lay a gorgeous red gold bracelet with shimmering crystal and a lustrous, deep red stone as the centrepiece. It was absolutely breathtaking.

"You didn't strike me as the flowers kind of girl and I wanted to get you something. The red ruby is quite special to fire dragons because it is usually associated with nobility, fire and passion," he explained.

I was mesmerized by the whole piece- it was truly a work of art and one that I was not sure I could accept.

"Aiden-"

"No, you can't turn it down, Riley. It's a gift, not an engagement ring. A beautiful piece of jewellery for the most magnificent woman in the world."

"Bet you say that to all the girls you wine and dine," I tried to joke as I didn't know what else to say because I was so overwhelmed by his feelings that I could feel deep down inside me as if they were my own. I took another bite from the chocolate fondue in an attempt to make myself busy.

Aiden raised an eyebrow at me, which I had half expected, given my lame attempt to change the focus of our conversation. Attempt number two. "When did you manage to get this anyway? We only got back from the cottage yesterday afternoon."

"When I went into town to grab some things for tonight," he shrugged as if it was no big deal.

Now it was me who was raising eyebrows. "When you went into town?" I repeated. "Come on, Luss is hardly jewellery-central."

He smirked before he replied. "I didn't say which town, did I?"

My eyes widened as I hoped that he hadn't driven all the way to Glasgow or Edinburgh to get me a bracelet, although on the inside I was a puddle of mush.