26. The other side of the story

RAFE

Another year and yet another ridiculous party that my father was throwing to show just how mighty and rich Angus Macalister and the Windcrest pack were. Sure, I was proud of my pack and what it had achieved over the last few decades, but I often felt that my father was losing touch with reality. We had many more pressing needs to take care off and instead he was spending money on decorations, fancy food and expensive alcohol. At least the latter was worthwhile.

I was nursing my whisky at the bar while the ballroom was filling up with guests. As I was standing there I was going over everything that we knew about the people that had injured my sister recently but that was not much if I had to be honest. It was driving me crazy as I felt like I was failing Natalia and my pack just as I had failed mother all those years ago.

On top of that my father was acting like he wanted to sweep the whole incident under the carpet. I had tried to confront him about it and the best I could get out of him was that I should drop the matter and forget about it. As if it was not my sister that was seriously injured. His only daughter and the man acted like he didn't give a fuck. Mad did not even cover how I felt about the whole thing but tonight I had to act all happy and polite as the son of the Alpha and the future Alpha of the pack.

"I always thought you had an alcohol problem but at least before you used to cover it up by drinking with someone else. Now I see that you have started resorting to drinking on your own, Rafe." I turned to my left and I saw my idiot of a best friend join me at the bar. "I'll have the same as him please." He ordered the barman and raised his glass for a salute once he was served. "What are we drinking to?"

"What is there to drink to? Same crap, different day. I can't wrap my head around how ridiculous my father, the Alpha, can sometimes be."

Aiden laughed and clinked his glass with mine. "If it makes you feel better, Cyrus is no different. I do wonder sometimes if he even knows what happens in the world around him."

"Hear, hear. Anyway, enough of the gloominess. I promised you that tonight we will have fun and I intend to deliver. If nothing else, let's at least make the most out of my father's egomaniacal spending."

I took another sip of my whisky and my eyes made contact with the busty blonde waitress on the other end of the bar. Amy, I think her name was. We had hooked up once or twice before and she was definitely interested in me but it was no different to what Claudia and all the other girls were. Sure enough, Amy was already trying to eye fuck me. Same story, different girls. But with the kind of frustrating few days it had been, I wondered whether a good fuck could help me relieve some tension. Before I could decide though, Amy went back to serving the guests and so I turned my attention back to Aiden.

"My plan is in motion."

My best friend looked at me confused as if he had already forgotten what I told him when he stopped by my house earlier this week. "What plan, mate? I get a bit lost with your crazy ideas sometimes."

"The plan of us messing with the new Moreau kid. Lucien's cousin that's attending tonight."

"Ah, that. To be honest, I had forgotten all about it. You are the one that's getting all excited over a prank. One might get worried that you have nothing better to do, Rafe."

"Fuck off, man. You know I've got plenty on my plate but if tonight we are meant to enjoy ourselves at this stupid party, I might as well have fun and mess around a bit. You know that I work hard and play hard."

"Chill, Rafe. I was just messing with you. I know that you need to let loose when you are off duty from your warrior and future Alpha roles. I get it- all that rigidity makes you want to break rules and let your inner wolf go wild wherever you can. You know I will have your back no matter what." Aiden patted me on the back to make his point.