41. The choices we make

RAFE

Handling John was more difficult than I thought it would be. Deep down inside, I still blamed him for leaving my mother behind, and Kai wanted to tear him apart for what he had done to Riley's wolf. 

Aiden was right though- it was Riley's call how to handle him and she had spared his life, even if his fate could be considered worse than death. So, I dropped him off at the train station and told him to never come back.

The drive back to the packhouse put me on an edge like never before. I knew that the confrontation that I was going to have with my father was going to be one that would impact our family and the pack because I was going to get answers and I was going to make him pay for what he had done. But first I needed to check on Nat.

I walked into her room and I found her sitting by the window, emptily staring outside. I hated that she had to go through what she did. It was the kind of thing that never leaves you even as you continue to live your life. Natalia was still so young, so pure- I feared the effect that the whole ordeal could have on her.

The moment saw me she jumped up and ran towards me, throwing herself on my neck.

"Rafe, you are okay! I am so happy to see you." Tears streamed down her face.

"Hey, kiddo. Shhhh, don't cry. I'm here. I hugged her tightly to try and soothe her. "Nat, it's okay. You are safe now, we all are. I will never let anything happen to you again, I promise."

"I thought I was never going to see you again, Rafe. Not you, not father, not Riley or Aiden. I don't remember much as I was unconscious for most of it but the moments when I was awake, I felt so lonely and the memories of all of you were what kept me going." She was still sobbing quietly in my arms.

"Don't be silly, Nat, you can never get rid of a stubborn prick like me so easily." My words made her laugh despite her tears which I wiped away from her beautiful face. "We will always be a team, kiddo, no matter what." I kissed her softly on the forehand and wrapped my arms around her once again.

She was clearly feeling better as she looked at me and smiled brightly. "I think I overheard that you are part of another team now," she said, raising an eyebrow at me.

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh come on, I heard the others mention that you, Aiden and Riley are mates," I growled at the fact that the three idiots that brought her back to Scotland have ended up sharing this with my sister. "Calm down, Rafe- they didn't know that I was awake. But I am so happy for you- Riley is amazing and now I understand why she felt like an older sister."

She was looking at me with such excitement and happiness that I didn't really want to ruin the moment for her, not after everything she had been through. "We are....erm...still figuring it out."

"You are figuring it out? Rafe Macalister, if you do anything to drive her away, I swear I will make you suffer. You don't understand how happy it makes me that my favourite three people in the whole world are mates. You are perfect for each other."

She looked out of the window once again, something clearly on her mind. "I've always wanted to meet my mate. I...I hope he wants me and doesn't reject me. What if I am not good enough for him?"

Seeing her doubt herself like that broke my heart. She was beautiful, kind and an all-around amazing person- any man would be lucky to have her and should be honoured to have been chosen as her mate. "Don't be silly, Nat- you are unique and wonderful. Your mate will worship you when the day comes. And I am sure that he will be as lovely as you are."

She lifted herself on her toes and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, Rafe- you are the best big brother a girl could ask for," she smiled at me.