6. Join me!

RILEY

The anger inside me at hearing all of this was bubbling like hot lava in a volcano, just waiting to explode. My mother had simply realised that unity was greater than division and fighting, and they'd killed her for that. I might not have known her, but her beliefs still somehow lived in me, as I felt strongly about helping each other and working together. It drove me crazy how close-minded people often were and how they did not see that only when you cooperate you can achieve greater things.

I let Lucien continue. Our coffees were long finished, but I was so enthralled by everything that he was telling me now that I feared making any sound in case he stopped.

"It's better now- in this day and age we have to cooperate more than before, but it's still pretty difficult. It would take an enormous threat to get some alphas to overcome their judgemental thinking. Although I have a feeling that this might happen sooner than anyone would expect- I believe there are people out there that are hunting shifters. Maybe they have been doing it for years, and I think they have a connection to our parents' deaths."

I gasped. Was there something even bigger behind their death? "What do you mean?"

"Well, I am still gathering information, so I don't have concrete proof yet. You already know what happened during the car crash. The Boswells were correct when they said that my wolf took over and forced me to run away. Your wolf would rarely take control, but I was a five-year-old who had never shifted up to that point. We only start learning how to shift in our teenage years, so the whole thing was a shock to me. But my wolf knew we were in danger and it did what it thought was best."

He paused, clear that he was struggling with whatever he was going to say next.

"I wanted to go back for you. I could hear your distressed cries as my wolf carried me away from the car." His voice was starting to shake, so he took a deep breath before he continued. "It broke my heart not to be able to help my baby sister. I have loved and protected you since the day you were born, and the moment that mum and dad let me hold you in my arms. That day — that day I failed you, Aurelie, and I'll never forgive myself for that."

As I listened to him, I felt my heart ache unbearably from all the pain and suffering I could see in Lucien's eyes. They were full of tears, but this Alpha was doing his best to hold them back. I had been so overwhelmed by all the truth that had been kept from me I never stopped to think about what he or my adoptive parents must have gone through all these years. So I did what both my body and mind were telling me to do- I moved towards Lucien and wrapped my arms around him, pulling his head towards my chest. For a second, I imagined that it's what my mum and dad would have done if they were with us. Lucien would not let himself relax- I guess alphas would never show vulnerability- but I could feel it in my heart that my embrace soothed him and our sibling bond was growing stronger.

"Lucien, you were just a boy! There is nothing that you could have done to save me or our parents. You heard what my dad... erm, what Victor said- the people who did this came to look for us after the car came to a stop. I would have never wanted you to suffer as well, just to be together. Please don't blame yourself- I know I don't blame you! I am happy that your wolf protected you and that you found me now. To be honest with you, it will take us time to make up for the lost years, but I am willing to let my big brother into my life if you wish to be a part of it!" I didn't even think about what I was saying. Everything I said, everything I felt in that moment, came straight from the heart, from a part of it that had been buried for years. He straightened up and cleared his throat.

"Thank you, sis! You have no idea how much it means for me to hear you say this. But I will still make it up to you and I will find those who did to us- they will pay!" The sheer determination about this was clear in his tone and the fire in his eyes. And I wanted nothing more than to join him in this. As if he read my mind, Lucien spoke again.