Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After filling our bellies with tons of carbs and laughs I was ready for a nap. Considering the past year I had experienced, an escape from the superficial city life and kale salads was exactly what I needed this summer. The summer before senior year. It was still difficult for me to wrap my head around. The fact that; high school was almost over, college was just around the corner, and that my dad wouldn't be here for any of it. Prom, graduation, and packing up for college, all milestones I pictured my dad being a part of while capturing it through his amateur photographers' lens.

This year and next summer were going to fly by. The anticipation and preparation for college might even enable me from being able to come back up to Pauge for one final hurrah with my friends. Oh no, what if I don't get to say goodbye to Kara, Nicki, and Derek before we all go our separate ways into pre-adulthood? What if we're scattered across the country, possibly even the world, and never see each other again? The flood of "what ifs" were beginning to creep through the cracks of my fragile exhausted mind swirling me up into a future panic. I already lost my dad, I just got my friends back, I didn't want to lose anyone else even for just a year.

"So, I won't," I whispered against the hoopla swooshing around in my adolescent brain. I couldn't control my dad's death but I could control my intention to keep the friendships with my friends, no matter the distance. We've survived our whole lives living hours away and only seeing each other a few months out of the year, what's the difference.

In the midst of my minor mental breakdown and self-pep talk Kara's eyes in the rearview mirror caught my attention.

"Ava, did you hear anything I just said?"

"Hmm?" I replied breaking out of my trance.

"I said," Kara began again dragging the words out emphasizing having to repeat herself. "After I drop off Nicki can I come over to Grams house with you to get ready for the party? I'm not really good at the whole hair and make up thing and I was wondering if you could help me."

"You don't need any of that stuff," Nicki started in. "You're a natural beauty my love," he finished with a little kiss on Kara's hand as she blushed in adoration at her boyfriend. Ah, young love. Must be nice.

"Of course, you can Kara." Whelp, there goes my nap.

"Yay!" Kara squeaked. "Kay, bye Nicki, get out," she giggled as she pulled up to Nicki's house to quickly drop him off like UberEATS.

"Wow, okay, bye guys," Nicki replied with a light hearted farewell and a hollow thud of the passenger side door.

"Want to come up front?" Kara turned back to me with her seatbelt half restraining her from fully rotating in her seat.

"No, it's okay. You can be my chauffer," I replied kicking my feet up onto the center console as Kara pedaled back to Grams just a few blocks over. I needed the last few moments of solidarity before the festivities ensued.

As Kara pulled into the driveway the sky was just beginning its transformation into a tie-dye of pink and orange swirls, I could see Grams silhouette through the kitchen window, hopefully perking up a pot of coffee. As I slammed the car door smooshing a few mosquitos in the process, Kara rolled down the window and called to me, "I'll be back in a little while with some dress options!" With a smile and a mental "oh boy" I waved back to her leaping over the wooden termite ridden porch.

"Hey Gram!" I called as I headed to the kitchen where I could undoubtedly smell some strong Columbiana.

"Hello! Ava my love," she sang as she turned toward me in her signature translucent flowery robe with arms spread eagle for a hug revealing a dark cup of java as she released her embrace.