Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"What are you guys doing back here?" Greyson casually asked as he approached our suspicious group.

"We just came up from the grotto," Sarah swiftly answered acting all natural still dripping a little. "What are you doing all by yourself in the dark?"

"Ah, of course. I just had a little impromptu business meeting," he smiled fondly at her. "Don't go disappearing on me just yet, okay?" he teased knowing her vanishing act all too well. She ate it right up but played it cool.

"I wouldn't dream of it," she answered flicking her long lashes at him as he walked back to the bonfire bash. I just stared at her with a cocky smile and my arms crossed over my chest. "What?" she said looking at me like a mosquito she wanted to swat away.

"What was that?" I laughed referencing her googly eyed flirting with Greyson.

"Oh whatever," she dismissed. "As if you're the only one that has an interest in the male species. Now, if you'll excuse me, there is a bottle of Grey Goose that is calling my name," she said as she set out on her mission toward the pergola covered bar.

Talan and I started to follow after her when we bumped into Kara on the way.

"Ava! Where have you been? Why do I always lose you at parties?" she excitedly greeted me after my long absence. Then she looked up to noticed my Aquaman shadow next to me and grew more intrigued with excitement.

"Talan, this is my friend Kara. Kara, this is Talan, he is Greyson's cousin," I quickly acquainted the pair.

"Hello there, Kara. It is wonderful to meet one of Ava's friends," he sweetly said to her while mocking me. But Kara was oblivious and just thought he was being polite.

"We literally met like two seconds ago," I muttered rolling my eyes wanting to get a drink myself now. But they both just ignored or didn't hear my commentary.

"That is, you are Ava's friend, right?" he asked Kara again for confirmation for God knows what reason.

"Yeah, we've been best friends since we were little when Ava would come up to Pauge every summer," Kara sweetly let him in on the mythology of the beginnings of our friendship, thinking he actually cared.

"Ah, just as I thought," he smiled at Kara. "I could spot it from a mile away," he sarcastically sneered in my direction as I huffed and rolled my eyes.

"Kara, we were just going to get a drink. We'll be right back," I called over my shoulder dragging Talan behind me by his massive bare arm, being that he was shirtless and there was no shirt to grab instead. When we were out of ear shot I let him have it. "What the hell was that!"

"What?" he laughed. "She's a sweet girl from Pauge. No claws," he added with a cat rawr kitten like clawing motion with his fingers.

"Why does it matter!" I flailed my arms in the air, my hands landing on my hips.

"It doesn't, I was just proving my point."

"What, that once I introduced her as my friend you knew she wasn't from your circle? Gee, wow, great detective skills there Sherlock," I jabbed him.

"Oh, please," his laugh deepened. "I knew the second I saw her across the yard."

"You're relentless," I shook my head but couldn't help laughing a little myself because it was so ridiculous and despite myself, I did find Talan entertaining with his wholesome frat boy charm. He was like a mix of Nicki and that Daddy Gorg character I met at the richie party. Totally hot but still able to laugh at himself and be a normal human being.