Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The car ride home couldn't go fast enough, yet it felt like a snail caravan, even though I only lived a few blocks away from Derek. Nicki and Derek bickered back and forth about Nicki interning with Andrew until we reached Nicki's house down the street. Derek of course discouraged it only provoking Nicki to like the idea more. Typical. I for one needed no discouragement from staying away from the richie world. Derek could have em'.

As we trudged up the hill to Grams house, we first stopped at Kara's halfway up the hill. She waved a sweet goodbye and I let her know I would be hanging out with Gram for the day so she could go about her business without considering potential plans with me. I needed some good old fashion kick up the feet fireplace time with Gram. Honestly, nothing could sound better right now.

"You got all your ice?" Derek joked as he backed out of Kara's driveway.

"Oh, so now last night is a big joke?" I immediately attacked him. I was in no mood right now and Derek couldn't come up with a quip fast enough so I just kept going. "One minute you're all, "you can't come to the richies party they're so exclusive", then the next you are bringing us and having a grand ole' time. Then you're carrying me back to your place drugged and snuggle up to me. What was that all about by the way?" I paused for a brief second as if the question wasn't rhetorical to see Derek grinding the steering wheel. "Then you regret bringing us but are all excited to give me those stupid diamonds, discourage Nicki from taking an internship with them, but can't wait to go run off and meet up to kiss more ass. So, which one is it?" I finished in a melodramatic huff. But I haven't told anyone off in a while so I quickly got a second wind. "Do you like them or not? Are we ever allowed near them again or not? Could you grow a pair and maybe defend me at least once when they try to grope me or insinuate I'm trash?" Now I was done. And exaggeratingly dramatic to the max. But Derek didn't say anything. He didn't breathe or sigh or groan or even blink. We sat in silence for ten long seconds and then swiftly in one swooping motion Derek kissed me.

What the hell?

It was fast and hard. Definitely conveying his pent-up emotion. His left hand grabbed the back of my head and knotted his finger into a fist full of hair. He didn't slobber which was nice but he delicately bit my lip before he pulled away, keeping his forehead pressed against mine and his hand in my hair. Now he breathed. We both did.

"What the hell was that," I murmured almost grazing his hot lips again as I spoke.

"Something I've wanted to do my whole life," he replied and kissed me again, softly this time. Then he pulled away.

"Derek," I began looking into his autumn eyes filled with so many ranging emotions.

"You're right," he said making me flinch back a tiny bit in surprise. "And I'm sorry."

"I am? You are?" no smart-ass remarks left for me to conjure up.

"Yes. You can do whatever you want. Hang with me and the richies or don't. It's completely up to you," he wholeheartedly said. "And I'll do my best to protect you next time," he earnestly added sliding a reassuring warm hand over my bare leg.

"You don't have to protect me," I replied looking down at his rough but soft hand on my thigh.

"Maybe not," he considered. "But I'll defend you."

"Thank you," I smiled. With a sweet brush of my cheek I gathered up my bags and left.

Well, this was an even bigger mess than just an hour ago. Derek kissed me. How did that happen? If I could rewind the last 24 hours and never go to that party I would. I would be living in ignorant plutonic friend bliss. And what was I going to tell Gram? I slept out and didn't even call. My mother would have had an aneurism if I did that. Welp, time to find out. After all, it was still only morning. Bouncing up the porch, jingling as I moved, I walked into the house and it was, empty. I dropped my stuff at the door, which consisted of my heels from last night and two bags of jewels. Nothing out of the norm.